Looking to do a coolant flush/thermostat few general questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Looking to do a coolant flush/thermostat few general questions within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Yest driving under normal conditions, my water temp gauge went berserk and I am now scared. 2005 WRX - minor ...

Looking to do a coolant flush/thermostat few general questions

Yest driving under normal conditions, my water temp gauge went berserk and I am now scared.
    2005 WRX - minor mods
    Car has 88k and i dont know the service history.

I am going to do a full coolant flush and thermostat change.

Ive been searching and see to 'burp' the system - i understand this and will do...obviously.

My questions-

What temperature thermostat is stock, and is there an advantage to a cooler one/disadvantage?
    How many gallons approx does the car take(no service book)?
    Is it necessary to use Subaru coolant, or can I just use a high quality basic coolant?
    Any other tips/tricks/etc I should know before I undertake this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I am getting a very similar problem as this other member from this thread,
    Fluctuating Coolant Temp

A few posts below where is says Fluctuating Coolant Temp...im thinking thermostat....

I Support ClubWRX
    The stock thermostat should be open by 80C according to the manual. By 90C the fan will be on low speed with the A/C off and by 95C, high speed. Both fans will kick in with the A/C on, and the fans are also speed-controlled depending on whether the car is in stop/go traffic or at high speed cruise.

Capacity for the 2002 model turbo car is roughly 8L. Subaru now sell green coolant, that will require dilution (use distilled water) or blue, that is pre-diluted (so buy two large containers of blue if you decide to use that).

I see no reason to use unauthorized parts; the Subaru stuff is readily available and not all that more expensive (a few dollars I suppose). There have been a couple third-party thermostats sold but I've not used them and they were several times more expensive than the correct part anyway.

Use a stock gasket for the thermostat housing. Do not overtorque the bolts. I think the spec is less than 5 ft*lbs but check to make sure. The thermostat must be oriented correctly in the housing; look at the old one and replicate that exactly.

Subaru also sell a small bottle of coolant conditioner and I have heard they require its use, so ask about that too.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 12-30-2010 at 10:43 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.