CEL P0420 please help

This is a discussion on CEL P0420 please help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; CEL went on and the code is P0420, which is apparently something with the cat. Serious issue? Any suggestions? Anyone ...

CEL P0420 please help

CEL went on and the code is P0420, which is apparently something with the cat. Serious issue? Any suggestions? Anyone had this problem? (2003 wrx wagon)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by subiwagon03 View Post
    CEL went on and the code is P0420, which is apparently something with the cat. Serious issue? Any suggestions? Anyone had this problem? (2003 wrx wagon)
    Very common problem, it is a catalyst efficiency code and if the car is stock, they would more tham likely need to be replaced. There is no problem driving it like it is if you don't mind the light being on. If the car is modded, different story. Is the car modded in any way? If so, how?

Please list your mods.
    If the car has a catless downpipe then the Computer needs to be tuned.

car is 100% stock

I Support ClubWRX
    The car does not need a tune even with an aftermarket down pipe. However, since the car is stock, take the code at face value and troubleshoot. Begin with the wiring and go from there.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.