Problem with BOV
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Problem with BOV within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Before you guys tear me a new one, I know BOV's are not ideal on these cars. This car came ...

Problem with BOV

Before you guys tear me a new one, I know BOV's are not ideal on these cars. This car came with one, and damnit, I can't help but like it. Anyways, my BOV is no longer blowing off boost unless I'm at full boost. It just makes the fluttering sound that it would normally make when you come off throttle just above vacuum. I haven't touched the adjustment screw on it, ever, so that shouldn't be it. I did however have a bit of a nasty run in with a large puddle. My car started running extremely rough for a bit, unable to rev past about 5k rpm, and the check engine light was flashing (it's always on, as I get the P0420 code on a regular basis since I have no cat or o2 sensor on my downpipe). After a few minutes, it actually stalled out completely. I started it back up, limped it into the nearby parking lot, and let it run for around a half hour or so. When I got back in it afterwards, it seemed to be running fine. I haven't had a chance yet to take it into a shop to get the CEL codes checked. Before I do that though, I was wondering if there's any things I should check first? There's nothing stuck in the BOV, as best as I can tell, and the adjustment screw hasn't been touched. Could it perhaps need a bit of lube? If so, what would you recommend using, and how?

Thanks for any help you can give me,
    Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Let's back up here. You are running no O2 sensor on your downpipe? Understandbly, the rear O2 sensor is intended to mainly check the efficiency of the cats. However, if you deleted the O2 sensor, your tuner should have defeated the CEL. Who does your tuning?

Also, it would be nice to know your car, year, and mods....
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I'm not sure who tuned my car to be honest, it was tuned before I bought it, and i've made no major modifications since then, other than a lightweight flywheel and stage 1 exedy clutch.

As for my car, it's an '04 wrx 2.0L
    3" catless turboback
    bov
    stage 2 mbc
    short ram intake
    ACT streetlight flywheel
    exedy stage 1 organic clutch
    and for ****s and giggles, HID headlights

Obviously I don't want to be driving the car very hard and build up any amount of boost if my BOV isn't venting, so I beleive it's important that I get it fixed asap. Again, any help is greatly appreciated

If the car is flashing the CEL, then it's likely NOT tuned at all.

As touched on in this thread in the Unabomber's Manifesto
    Aftermarket BOVs can and do require some light end user maintenance to keep them performing perfectly.
    What brand BOV do you have? If you can find out, then do a google search for "BrandX BOV maintenance", and oil it up.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.