changing the brake pads for the first time
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on changing the brake pads for the first time within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Im thinking about using an impact drill to take the caliper bolts off from the brake rotor and a c-clamp ...

changing the brake pads for the first time

Im thinking about using an impact drill to take the caliper bolts off from the brake rotor and a c-clamp to push the caliper pistons back in. Is this a good idea?

I own a 2006 wrx

What kind of brake pads do you prefer?
    Should i change my rotors too?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You shouldn't need an impact gun to remove those bolts. If you do plan on using one to take them off, just be careful that you don't snap them off, and whatever you decide to do, do not use it to put them back on.

Basically every local automotive store will rent you the tool to compress the caliper pistons for free, so might as well just use that.

What type of brake pads you want/should buy really depends on what you do with your car. IIRC TireRack has a comparison thing when you go to brake pads. (which ones have more bite, less dust, what they're made of, ect...)

You should probably change your rotors while you're there, it will only benefit you. Do you need to? I don't really know, the only way to tell if they need to be replaced is by looking at them. IMO if you're going to have the caliper off you might as well just change the rotor anyway.

EDIT:
    Here's a link to TR for you, if you look under the photo's it has a "rating" system to tell you about the pads. Also, next to the name of the pad, it tells you the use of them.
    http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...6&autoModClar=
    Last edited by xFalleNx; 12-21-2010 at 09:22 AM.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

As mentioned, DO NOT use an impact gun to re install the caliper bolts, I use one for the caliper bracket bolts which are 17mm fore I have had them seized in and I have honestly broken tons of them...as far as the c-clamp idea. go to pep boys and buy a caliper reset tool, they are around $25 and worth every penny ( remember let the piston seal retract it back into the caliper, you dont have to squeeze with all your might ). Personally I will never do a brake job on a customers car without either resurfacing the rotors or replacing them, if you do decide to take them off and bring them in to have them resurfaced than I do want to say when you resurface a rotor it has a higher tendency to warp faster than a new rotor. Pads are also a touchy subject... I personally dont feel comfortable installing aftermarket pads or rotors on any subaru, fore I have had numerous noise comebacks, not to mention the quality over OEM is non existant ( at least as far as NAPA is concerned )....OH yes forget to see you mentionedits a 2006, Nice full floating calipers than ...
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 12-22-2010 at 05:31 PM.

u could use a c clamp if u wanted to though right? the pistons are not the screw in type are they? they just press back in right? you can reuse one of the old pads between the clamp and piston to push it back in right?

i just thought of this the calipers have pistons on both sides of the caliper? rear has one piston on the inside and one on the outside and the front have 2 on the inside and 2 on the outside right? if so you need to compress both pistons at the same time right? how do you do that. i also havent taken these off yet. also about to soon and i want to know what i am getting into.
    Last edited by irvin787878; 12-21-2010 at 05:50 PM.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

I Support ClubWRX
    You can use an old pad, a spanner, or anything else flat. I found mine took relatively little pressure, and no clamp was necessary -- thumbs plus spanner only in my case. If you do this, make sure you've not topped up the fluid since you last did it (I hadn't; some dealer had, during a fluid top up, and I got to enjoy the cleanup).
    Last edited by SD_GR; 12-21-2010 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Spelig...
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

My cousin is planning to replace his brake pads and he wanted me to help him on this. The problem is both of us don't have any idea on things like this. I know that this is an easy job for expert people but not for us. I will tell him to follow some good advice in this thread. Hopefully this will bring us luck.
    Last edited by weberlyn; 03-18-2011 at 07:57 PM.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by weberlyn View Post
    My cousin is planning to replace his break pads and he wanted me to help him on this. The problem is both of us don't have any idea on things like this. I know that this is an easy job for expert people but not for us. I will tell him to follow some good advice in this thread. Hopefully this will bring us luck.
    Once you get into it, you'll realize that it really is an easy job, even for those with no experience. This is a chance to get your hands dirty and get to learning about basic car maintenance. Just take your time, make sure you have the right tools for the job, and pay attention to what you're doing and you'll be fine. Good luck!
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.