AC belt idler / tensioner pulley failure
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on AC belt idler / tensioner pulley failure within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just thought I'd post up for others that experience this. A few weeks ago, I started to hear a whirring ...

AC belt idler / tensioner pulley failure

Just thought I'd post up for others that experience this. A few weeks ago, I started to hear a whirring noise under the hood that was engine rpm related only on my '02 WRX. Not load dependent; just rpm dependent. Strangely, it would somewhat come and go. With the hood open, it sounded like it could be coming from the alternator or the AC compressor. It turned out that the noise came from the idler pulley on the belt tensioner for the AC belt. It was a cheap, easy fix. I bought a new Dayco 89029 metal pulley w/ bearing from Advance Autoparts and it seems much more substantial than the plastic OEM one. Problem solved.
    2002 WRX Sedan - Silver (mostly stock) | 1991 Mazda Miata - Mariner Blue Pearl (highly modified 331cid V8)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I had this happen about two months ago to my 04 STi. I was just waiting in line for gas at Costco with the A/C on and I heard "EEEEEERRRRRR" followed by burning rubber smell, and of course the death of the A/C. So while getting gas, I popped the hood and found that the A/C belt had pretty much "vaporized" without a trace and I only had half of my alternator belt left :/ luckily I made it home.
    I got OEM belts to replace em and thats when I found the pulley had seized. I figured it was just some kind of freak incident and just shrugged it off.

For what its worth my car had approxamately 58,000 to 59,000 on the clock when this happened.
    Last edited by wo^tron; 12-21-2010 at 08:41 AM.
    Put aside the everyday world and come with us
    Into the realm of imagination
    The middle ground between light and shadow

I am glad I found this post, but I went to my local auto shop and they told me that my tensioner pulley was cracked. I said alright so I went to autozone and they told me they had the belt which I bought, but they said they didn't have the pulley. I am not sure if I am asking for the right product, but it's the top right pulley on the motor. Is there something else I should be asking for or is the right?
    I also have the concern about just replacing just the pulley and not replacing the entire tensioner pulley?

Need just a bit of help and I should be able to get it from there.

lyn
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonwallst View Post
    I am glad I found this post, but I went to my local auto shop and they told me that my tensioner pulley was cracked. I said alright so I went to autozone and they told me they had the belt which I bought, but they said they didn't have the pulley. I am not sure if I am asking for the right product, but it's the top right pulley on the motor. Is there something else I should be asking for or is the right?
    I also have the concern about just replacing just the pulley and not replacing the entire tensioner pulley?

Need just a bit of help and I should be able to get it from there.
    I am now on the same situation as you. The cracked tensioner pulley was my big problem now and having this thought of replacing that. I have ask one mechanic and quoted me $50 for the replacement. Is that price fair enough?
    Last edited by lyn; 02-11-2011 at 07:53 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's about a 20 minute job. Whether it's fair or not is up to you and the mechanic.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I am new to the Subaru forum and people don't seem to be as helpful as those on corvette board or any other since this is the first response I have received at all and I posted on 2 different topics about this. I ended up having to spend a few more hours and a couple more days down the road without anyone's help I found this thread. So here it is for anyone else with this problem in the future. You can get a new metal instead of plastic pulley from advance auto parts for under $40 made by Dayco or one for under $30 made by Gates. If $50 for the part plus labor I would say it is a great deal and would do it. I would not however put a plastic pulley back on again. I think they just do that for weight or cost savings, but not really sure.

idler tension pulley melted - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

+1^..alot of the newer Subies have plastic pulleys, my 96 Legacy however has a solid metal one....

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    I just fixed mine, I used the OEM plastic to replace the broken one, if the new one lasts another 8-9 years ill be happy.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

WOW! I just dropped my bug eye off yesterday to get the Fuel issue fixed.. just got a call saying the idler was Jacked... quoted me 274 w/new belts

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Whaaa? 274? Tell them no.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

yeah I told them no. "just fix my fuel line!" so I went on autozone.com they have this part... is this it? Duralast/Idler Pulley (231029) | 2002 Subaru Impreza AWD 4 Cylinders 2 2.0L SFI Turbo DOHC | AutoZone.com

so its pretty easy eh? also got told today my boots on the inner axels are kaput... yay for me.. qouted 517 to replace those... I dont think I can do those in the ol'garage

Why can't you do the axles? It's not that hard.

A plastic versus metal pulley is somewhat moot. The plastic pulley still has metal bearing races.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

re

picked up the rex from subaru in Vegas today.. bought the parts to fix her.. 70 bucks / and 45mins later.. car is back to normal, and AC blows cold I cant belive they were going to charge me that crazy amount of money.. its literaly like 8 bolts, and boom... ne ways the AC pulley was worn so bad all that was left was the bearing.. I will post some pics, and the belt looked more like a peice of thread... weak!

i hope someone can help me with this. its a simmilar subject. my idler pulley is going out too. does any one know if i remove the pulley mount and belt will it hurt anything? i dont need ac. will this give me more hp? thanks

I know this is an old post, but my idler pulley seized and now my 2002 wrx overheats. Does anyone ahve any idea how this would make the car overheat?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast