My friend bent his wheel. need info please!!

This is a discussion on My friend bent his wheel. need info please!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so my friend was sliding out and his rear wheel hit the curb. The tire is a little slanted. Im ...

My friend bent his wheel. need info please!!

so my friend was sliding out and his rear wheel hit the curb. The tire is a little slanted. Im thinking the axle is bent. How much would it cost to fix and what does he need to get to repair it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    What car are we talking about here? More common is the lower control arm or knuckle assembly being bent, which can be costly depending on the extent of the damage. Since the axles are CV types on a WRX, it would be rather difficult to bend them with a slam to the wheels.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

well its a 07 tr. It seems like it drives fine. Its just the top where the tire is that it points out a little

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brownie1-2 View Post
    well its a 07 tr. It seems like it drives fine. Its just the top where the tire is that it points out a little
    Yep, he bent something for sure. Time to get it into a shop. Sucks, but that's what you get for acting like a fool in the snow.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Any idea of what it is that he bent?

Like he said already, the lower control arm is probably bent, and the knuckle is probably damaged. You're looking at about a $1500 repair.

Ah once again it's the season of curb monsters attacking cars. Always seems to start in Nov or Dec.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

ok thanks. Hate to break the news to him. another few quick questions. It still seems like it drives fine, is it safe to drive? and can this be a do-it-yourself kinda thing?

Is it "fine" to drive? Well, I wouldn't do a long road trip with it, but driving it for a short time should be fine. But without knowing exactly what was damaged, don't trust me. I'd want to see exactly why the wheel was so far out of alignment. Any difference from normal you can see that easily means something is seriously bent.

It's also going to destroy the tire if he drives it for very long because it's going to wear very unevenly.

As for whether he can do it himself, that all depends on his skill level and tools. He'll definitely have to pay for an alignment, but the rest could be done by somebody that's competent with cars/tools.
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

like i said at the top the wheel points out a little. Its actually not that noticeable but it can be pointed out if i were to say say that the wheel is bent. The steering wheel turns a little to the left. also he is getting knew tires soon so should he fix it before he gets new tires?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The strut could also be damaged, as well as the rear diff. So you might be adding on another $1200 in parts alone.. not to mention the wheel itself, after everything is fixed it will need to be balanced and aligned. If the wheel doesn't balance out good it will need to be replaced too.

I would estimate repair to cost somewhere between $500 and $3000.

With the camber out of whack like that it's going to chew through tires. If driven for too long in this condition it could cause a blow out, or possibly damage the differential due to uneven tread depth. I would not put new tires on the car until it has been fully repaired, then immediately have all four tires balanced and get an alignment.
    Last edited by MainFrame; 12-18-2010 at 11:23 AM.

His rear wheel hit the curb and his steering wheel is off center now? That means the front suspension is out of alignment too and must have hit the curb. The rear wheel hitting the curb won't change the centering of the steering wheel.

I wouldn't buy new tires and put them on a car with alignment that out of whack. It's going to ruin the tires.
    Scott

yeah well that sucks for him. any advice for what he should do for the time being?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Don't drive the car unless it's on the way to the repair shop. And try to take it to a place that has a good reputation.

ok thanks for all the help. Ill be sure to tell my buddy