NEED HELP.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on NEED HELP. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; well today was a cold morning and iv been checking to see this for a while. I have a 02 ...

NEED HELP.

well today was a cold morning and iv been checking to see this for a while. I have a 02 impreza and every morning when its cold the engine does this knock noise and when the engine temperature gets normal it stops is this normal or do I have to be worried?
    W.....................R....................X

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How loud is it? Is there any other time it happens other than when it's cold? I imagine it's tied to engine RPM correct? How long has it been doing it?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

well ive been checking for about a few days now its not that loud you have to open the hood up and listen very carfully then it will get to you. ive only noticed it since a few days ago when randomly opening my hood to look at my engine while the car was still running. I cant say much about the weather but since it is pritty cold im gusing it has only been doing this in the cold.

I Support ClubWRX
    If it goes away I'd not worry. Mine has had piston slap for eight years. Subaru tried to do something about it with motor repairs in some of their UK cars, and some of the repaired cars went on to develop piston slap again.

Also, if you are having to listen closely I'd not worry too much either. I've been under a cold 205 motor when it's started, with my head 30 cm from the bottom of the sump, and it sounded appalling. I still have that motor and it's got 110K on it now, worry-free.

If it's knock, then worry.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

oh ok good its just something I came apon since I go into a lot of detail. its a very very quite noise but it still bugs me but after engine is heated up it goes away I think it only happened in the morning time when I get it started up for the day.

I Support ClubWRX
    From your description alone, not having ever seen the car, it's piston slap. Just keep up on the factory maintenance schedule and enjoy life with the car.
    SD
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

so its nothing major if it has a piston slap? ist that something I should be very worried about.

I Support ClubWRX
    Nothing major if piston slap, correct. It will slap slap slap until it warms up. No worries.

any fixes for this? thanks alot for the help tho. im mean ALOT.

I Support ClubWRX
    Since it does not affect longevity there is nothing to fix. Subaru in the UK tried nonetheless, and have not been successful as far as I can tell. Again, don't worry about piston slap that goes away at warmup. Also, don't worry about it.

oh ok dam thats gonna bother me. well thanks a bunch.

I Support ClubWRX
    No problem.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.