About oil in my WRX

This is a discussion on About oil in my WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Could I get the link to the oil thread for my WRX or could some one just tell what oil ...

About oil in my WRX

Could I get the link to the oil thread for my WRX or could some one just tell what oil should I put in my 06 WRX. Synthetic oil obviously and its the winter time now. I'm at a long day at work and on my iPhone and I've searched for a topi on it with my phone and it just won't find it. Thanks in advanced who ever helps. I'm picking up oil on my way home that's why I would like to know now rather then wait to get home and then go back out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Anyone at all?

I Support ClubWRX
    Search "oil tsb" or "what kind of oil should I use" and these threads come up:

Oil TSB for 2006+ Subarus

and
    ??What oil should I use??

Hope this helps.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    More than you will ever need to know: Welcome

There's lots of good oil out there, so it's pretty much up to you. I personally use Rotella T6 5w-40. Amsoil is great stuff, but it's a little pricey for me. A lot of people also use German Castrol. The only one I've had bad experience with is Mobil 1 5w-30, but people generally have mixed opinions about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    More than you will ever need to know: Welcome

There's lots of good oil out there, so it's pretty much up to you. I personally use Rotella T6 5w-40. Amsoil is great stuff, but it's a little pricey for me. A lot of people also use German Castrol. The only one I've had bad experience with is Mobil 1 5w-30, but people generally have mixed opinions about it.
    Rotella T6 5w-40 here as well. My car no longer loses oil.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    I couldn't find M1 diesel truck 5W-40 this time around so I went with Rotella T6, again 5W-40. I'd been using M1 since 13K mi, so seven years or so. I'm sure it'll be fine with the Shell. I tend to buy whatever 0W-40 or 5W-40 is on sale or convenient at this point.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    Rotella T6 5w-40 here as well. My car no longer loses oil.
    I've read a lot of good things about that oil. Is it better to go with a 5w-40 vs. 5w-30 in these cars if used as a daily driver, no track use?
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

I Support ClubWRX
    The best viscosity for your use pattern, and the best oil, can only be determined with certainty empirically, by performing used oil analyses. Second best is to look at the results from other people with similar motors, in similar climates, and with similar habits.

I use 0W-40 or 5W-40 synths, but I am out of warranty (so I have no concerns over a claim denial if I don't have the correct viscosity oil on the receipts), I've done a used oil analysis way back when to get me on the right path, and I'm a conservative driver who does his best to maintain his vehicles. Your use patterns and your climate may vary, plus from your avatar you're under warranty.

If you are under warranty, follow Subaru's requirements to the letter and keep all receipts.

So I guess I'm going to go with the Rotella T6 5w-40. Its winter time here so that wouldn't be to thick would it? I just want to make sure my engine is safe under high revs and 5w-30 is thin oil if I'm correct, but maybe better for the winter. I read some great reviews on the Rotella T6 oil and the funny thing is, is that I never heard of it before or new it was made. lol I was thinking about using Royal Purple but that stuffs almost 10$ a quart here, that's ridiculous, is it even worth it for that stuff?

Just thought I'd let you guys know I changed my mind at advanced when i went to pick up some oil. I picked up the Valvoline Full Synthetic 5w-30 oil, with a K&N Oil filter. They had a special going for 28$ or something like that. I noticed the Shell oil T6 is only available in the 4Qt. jug? My car takes like 4.28qts so meaning I would have to buy 2 4qt jugs and technically waste the other 4qts. I don't think keeping it after opened for a few months would be worthwhile.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The Valvoline should be fine.

My car takes 5 quarts, so I always buy two or three jugs of the Rotella at a time. It's less than $20 a jug at Walmart, and it all makes it into the engine at some point in time, so technically none of it is wasted. You always need some extra oil around to top off between changes. I check my oil at least once a week.. of course I've got a sticking valve right now, so I'm going through more oil than normal until my next build in January.