Newb to WRX and turbos, Need Help

This is a discussion on Newb to WRX and turbos, Need Help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, well I may or may not have done something stupid. I am into lifted/offroad vehicles and this is all ...

Newb to WRX and turbos, Need Help

Hello, well I may or may not have done something stupid. I am into lifted/offroad vehicles and this is all I really know. I randomly traded one of my three lifted trucks in order to try something different. I ended up with a 02 WRX with 130,000. I don't know anything about these cars and have done some searching on the site and have confused myself a little more. From what the previous owner told me and from what I have seen, it has a AEM boost controller and (i think) 2.5" straight pipe exhaust that are both new within 6 months. I have read good and bad about the boost controller. It has at least one code thrown, I am out of town right now or I would have it checked. It is idling very low, and has died a couple times when I am coming to a stop and push the clutch in. He said he needed to get it tuned after the boost and exhaust and never did. I am wondering if this is true and also what the boost controller should be set at for everyday driving. Any help on the problem would be appreciated. I will also get the code run when I get home.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The boost controller should be set to whatever the car is tuned for. From my signature, you can see I'm experienced in your world too. Straight pipe meaning no muffler, cats, etc? Just straight through 2.5" tubing?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I will have to look at the pipe when I get back in town. So could having the boost set to anything but the stock setting cause the idle issue I am having?