Cold weather brake issues

This is a discussion on Cold weather brake issues within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So it was 43 below on the drive into work this morning, and about halfway in the Christmas tree lit ...

Cold weather brake issues

So it was 43 below on the drive into work this morning, and about halfway in the Christmas tree lit up on the dash. It was showing me the ABS warning, Hill Assist warning and TCS off warning lights. I had this happen last year when it hit 35 below. The brakes seem to work fine, ABS and TCS are definitely offline when this happens. I put the car in the garage for a few hours and it was fine. Has anyone else had this type of problem or know what may cause/prevent it? Oh yeah '08 sedan, might need to put that in there.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

- Winston Churchill

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sorry to say it, but if it is 43 below ZERO neither you, nor your car should be outside. im pretty sure everything was frozen and that is what caused your car to freak out.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    sorry to say it, but if it is 43 below ZERO neither you, nor your car should be outside. im pretty sure everything was frozen and that is what caused your car to freak out.
    Where he lives, that would mean he couldn't drive for 4 months a year.

To the OP: I would call that "normal" in those temps. Do you have a garage, or is the car outside in a driveway? Parking it outside will make it happen more often.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Where he lives, that would mean he couldn't drive for 4 months a year.
    there are just places that should be considered "uninhabitable". 43 below would qualify for that in my opinion.

but, i guess its all relative. I am freezing when its below 60 outside, so go figure.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was hoping someone may have some insight into this problem.

Last winter when I was in Wisconsin, this happened to me a few times on very cold days. I had it checked out at the dealership and they found nothing. I stopped worrying.

Now I'm in Southern California and it's happend to me 3 times in the past two days (TCS, ABS and Hill Assist lights all come on). Needless to say, it's not very cold here at all. If I shut the car down and restart it, the lights clear. I'm slightly concerned now, especially because my car is at 38K so out of warranty.

Thanks for any help.

Does anybody have any insight into this?

Thanks.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have an accessport to see if it is throwing a cell? If not then bring it to an autozone or another auto store to see if they can scan it for cells. Then go from there.

No accessport, but I'll swing by a shop to check for codes. Thanks, that hadn't occurred to me.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Haven't had time to scan for codes. (I work nights and sleep all day during work days) But a little research on NASIOC turned up this thread:

TCS, ABS, Hill Start Assist Lights On - NASIOC

So, it looks like it could just be a fault brake light switch, which is a bit of a relief. I'll try to pull codes in the morning and then schedule a service appointment. Hopefull this may help someone later with a similar problem