fuel leak??

This is a discussion on fuel leak?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hi, so i have a 2002 wrx, and it has a fuel leak. i have had it fixed before, very ...

fuel leak??

hi, so i have a 2002 wrx, and it has a fuel leak. i have had it fixed before, very expensive and it came back when it got cold again. my friend's husband, a mechanic, told me that the hoses contract when it gets cold, causing the leak, then heat up, expand, and everything's fine, but that i should have all the hose clamps tightened. he tightened all but 2, said he would have to take the whole thing apart to get to them, let's try this and see if it works, it didn't. so my question is, is this repair necessary? i mean, if it's just going to happen every time it gets cold, why repair it? but it also doesn't seem safe to drive around with a fuel leak. thoughts, suggestions?? thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    There is a recall that covers this issue. Contact the nearest dealer and request a free repair.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

ha!

that sounds like a great idea in theory, but the dealer is actually who fixed it for me before, charged me $700. i told them i had heard of a recall, and the mechanic actually told me this was a common problem, then charged me $700. makes me sick to my stomach to think about it. have read through most of the posts on this topic, everyone seems to think something different. i know a couple people who own wrx's, have driven them for years without a repair for this problem, and they've never had a problem. do you think it's dangerous to leave it?

Quote Originally Posted by mindylisa View Post
    that sounds like a great idea in theory, but the dealer is actually who fixed it for me before, charged me $700. i told them i had heard of a recall, and the mechanic actually told me this was a common problem, then charged me $700. makes me sick to my stomach to think about it.
    I'd go to a different dealer and get the recall performed. Then contact Subaru's corporate offices and lodge a complaint for the previous, most likely unnecessary repair.

have read through most of the posts on this topic, everyone seems to think something different. i know a couple people who own wrx's, have driven them for years without a repair for this problem, and they've never had a problem.
    I'm not sure what threads you read, but there's not much difference of opinion on this one. It's a very common problem with a very simple solution. And your friends may not have had the problem. Ok, well not everybody does. But there's a recall out for a reason. And your friends could still get the problem some time in the future.

do you think it's dangerous to leave it?
    You have a highly flammable liquid leaking out of your car, which has multiple parts that get hot enough to ignite it. Do you think that's dangerous?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I recently have noticed the same thing and according to this thread:

Raw Fuel Smell Log - NASIOC

I am going to try to fix it myself. I reckon when I get a chance to check it out I'll let you know what i find. That link though has a great number of similar complaints and fixes.