Break in? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Break in? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Thanks for the thread. I expect to pick up my new WRX in about 6 weeks. I think I can ...

Thanks for the thread. I expect to pick up my new WRX in about 6 weeks. I think I can manage the under 4K for the 1st 1K. My question is about what constitutes keeping the RPM constant for "long periods" of time. I have to pick up the car about 3 hours away from home. Do I need to stop or slow down at times to avoid the long periods - and how long is long? 30 minutes? 15 minutes? 60? Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Don't use cruise. Vary your RPM's without holding the same rev for more than a few minutes. I like to slowly accelerate to about 3500, then let off and allow the revs to drop to 2000 or 2500. Rinse, repeat....

I just crossed 2200 on my wrx - got it with 9 miles on it. The 1st 1000 i just drove as if it "didnt have a turbo" - vary rpm's, keep it under 4k, push it from time to time, but nothing harsh - once i crossed 1k, I got more aggressive and started to test its limits.. Now I've since gone over 4k, but never red-lined..........having done this on many other cars, including Subaru's, its served me well.........I believe its not just about the engine breaking in, everything has to break in or seat in place etc - bearings, tires, suspension, brakes, engine, transmission, clutch etc................the warm up is probably even more important than any of these! Not so much for "warmth" although that is a good thing as a side effect , but more importantly for oil circulation in the engine. You can baby a car all you want, but if you wind that motor when its cold and the oil is still getting around - well then it doesnt matter how you drive it!

everyone had their own method i guess. :-)
    Last edited by suby04; 01-04-2011 at 11:37 AM.

I just got my new STI yesterday and have red-lined it about 20 times in the first 77 miles already.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I just got my new STI yesterday and have red-lined it about 20 times in the first 77 miles already.
    That's awesome. I bet you're having fun with it. To be fair though most people here don't have the spanking new STi as their back up for their real car like you Scott. Lol
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    That's awesome. I bet you're having fun with it. To be fair though most people here don't have the spanking new STi as their back up for their real car like you Scott. Lol
    It's funny, I could've driven my 911 to work the last couple of days since I don't have my kids, but drove the STI anyway. Fun to drive the new car.

And I didn't really red-line it 20 times. I haven't actually taken it over 5k at all. I took it up to 5k once on the highway to pass a left lane sitter, but that's it. I think I'm at about 140 miles on it now so I think it might be time to do the first red-line on it.....
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

Banned
    I think I'm at about 140 miles on it now so I think it might be time to do the first red-line on it.....
    I would! Oil change first, perfect time for it.

Quote Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
    Eh? Oil change at 140 miles?
    Scott

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    WTF?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

KHP
    I think it would be useless to change oil that early. Gee... I thought I was crazy when I changed my oil @ ~1030 Miles. When I changed mine though I saw quite a bit of fine metal shavings suspended in the oil. I couldn't believe how dark the oil was with only 1000 miles. I say give it a little more time to break in using factory oil.

Banned
    Eh? Oil change at 140 miles?
    O god of course! Just as KHP said he saw quite a bit of metal in the oil. Trust me I've been doing this a long time! That metal comes in the first 20 miles with everything starting to rub. U start punching it now with all the crap you could run into a problem. Change it now and again at 500-1000. Use regular oil!!!! Use that till about 3k then move to synthetic.

People think it's a waste but your tranny and diff aren't that far off from your motor. That break in oil crap should also be changed out twice before 3k. At 3k then use your brand of choice synthetic for both. I promise you spend about $50 doing all 3 now and then move to synthetic at 3k you will never have a problem with wear an tear on them!

Plus u will be surprised how much better the car shifts and runs at 3k when you change out the break in oil. It really it night and day
    Last edited by synolimit; 01-06-2011 at 03:07 PM.

I couldn't resist. I babied it to 995 miles but wasn't able to hold off those last 5 miles. Since then...let's just say I'm really getting a good hang on heel-toe shifting and it's amazing. The pedals are spaced better for it (for my feet anyway) then they were in my bugeye. Anyhow, it's worth the wait. It's like any relationship, if you keep that rascal under wraps for as long as you can before unleashing it, the reward will be that much sweeter.
    '99 Impreza 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl - Retired
    '02 Sedona Red WRX - Retired
    '11 DGM WRX Hatch w/ SPT exhaust, short throw and STi shift knob Pics

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My '11 STI came with standard oil. Since I bought mine, Subaru issued a TSB that all their '11 turbo cars should now use synthetic. I changed mine at 3K and switched to synthetic- no shavings in the original oil - but it was dark.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

O god of course! Just as KHP said he saw quite a bit of metal in the oil. Trust me I've been doing this a long time! That metal comes in the first 20 miles with everything starting to rub. U start punching it now with all the crap you could run into a problem. Change it now and again at 500-1000. Use regular oil!!!! Use that till about 3k then move to synthetic.

People think it's a waste but your tranny and diff aren't that far off from your motor. That break in oil crap should also be changed out twice before 3k. At 3k then use your brand of choice synthetic for both. I promise you spend about $50 doing all 3 now and then move to synthetic at 3k you will never have a problem with wear an tear on them!

Plus u will be surprised how much better the car shifts and runs at 3k when you change out the break in oil. It really it night and day
    So what's a "long time" and how many cars are you basing this on? Please keep in mind I've only owned 2 of my 20+ cars more than 3 years, and own 4 right now.

A 140 mile oil change is ridiculous, sorry. That's why you have an oil filter. Particulate in the oil pan isn't going to make it back into the engine past the oil filter.
    Scott

My experience... I've owned 3 new cars and have broken them all in the same way, easy for 1000 miles, change oil... 3k miles change again...change every 3k thereafter. The first 2 cars (1994 Nissan Maxima, 2000 Subaru Legacy) lasted 250k and 225k miles before I sold them and I know the Legacy is still running at over 300k. I broke in my '11 WRX the same way, and expect the same result.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast