Grinding sound...

This is a discussion on Grinding sound... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi! From the 1st day I picked the car up at dealer I started hearing grinding noise from back left ...

Grinding sound...

Hi!

From the 1st day I picked the car up at dealer I started hearing grinding noise from back left wheel when turning right.

When I tested the car everything was fine no sounds at all.. When I picked the car up it was -10C and the idiot seller washed the car... the strange thing happened when I tried to drive off car wouldn´t budge at first but than I heard a bang and car moved (I wasnt pushing it like an idiot ).. I am guessing that something broke than.. Maybe handbrake or something like that...

I have a guarantee (1 year on used car) and will be visiting them but I am trying to diagnose what could it be.

Thanks for help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What year is the vehicle? How many miles are on it? I have a hunch as to what it could be however the first two questions will help... Does it matter if you are on the brake or not?

It may have been perfectly normal to get that bang when you first moved it. There was probably a bit of rust that had formed between the pads and rotors so you had to break that bond. It happens in my Turbo all the time, and happened in my old Porsche and in my STi. Doesn't do any harm other than making you wear the clutch a tiny bit. It could also have been the rotors were frozen to the pads from him washing it.

The grinding noise may be as simple as a pebble in the caliper/pads. How loud is it?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

It is 2008 and it has 37.282 (60.000km). When braking sound stays the same.. strange thing is that this sound can be heard every time when turning right and sometimes when driving over bumps (but than it is short sounds). At first I thought it could be mudflaps but I checked a little bit and it is not.

Than I started thinking it must be the brakes but I dont think sound would be the same whether I brake or not. I even tried turning right with car in neutral and same sound is there.

The good thing is that there is warranty and that I am taking the car to the dealer (when i wont be working my ass off like last 2 weeks ) so they take it to service and fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonelost View Post
    It is 2008 and it has 37.282 (60.000km). When braking sound stays the same.. strange thing is that this sound can be heard every time when turning right and sometimes when driving over bumps (but than it is short sounds). At first I thought it could be mudflaps but I checked a little bit and it is not.

Than I started thinking it must be the brakes but I dont think sound would be the same whether I brake or not. I even tried turning right with car in neutral and same sound is there.

The good thing is that there is warranty and that I am taking the car to the dealer (when i wont be working my ass off like last 2 weeks ) so they take it to service and fix it.
    Where are you located? I do realize its a newer car however I have seen this before, rust builds up on the backing plate where the ebrake is located and ends up pushing the plate out and contacting the inner lip of the rotor...might not be it in this case but I have seen it more than a couple times.. could also be a heat shield by the rear diff...and of course your brakes could just need replacement....

Hi!

Well managed find the problem, it was mudflap. Previous owner bought some cheap **** that was universal for all cars and winter tires are little bit bigger they started rubbing.. now I am going to buy rally armor... made for my car! Thank you all for your help.

no problem man, glad to hear it was something simple.