clock switch? airbag light?

This is a discussion on clock switch? airbag light? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey im brand new here, and i drive an 06 wrx. the airbag light tuned on and stayed on for ...

clock switch? airbag light?

hey im brand new here, and i drive an 06 wrx. the airbag light tuned on and stayed on for about half an hour.. then it went off. after that i also noticed that a few of my warning lights dont self test when i start the car. i took it to the dealer and they are tellin me to replace the clock switch, ONLY AFTER that, they can see why those warning lights arent working.. i have to wait for this part a couple of days and they said its better not to pick it up because the dash is ripped apart. i said ok il leave it. i went there a couple hours later to take some belongings out and it was sittin outside and it looked like nothing was touched. i feel like they lied to me. and im paranoid to leave it with them.. what would you do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Have you done any modifications to the car? How old is the battery?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Have you done any modifications to the car? How old is the battery?
    i bought the car brand new in 2006 and there are no modifications. the battery is 4 years old but i tested it and it is still ok.

any time you have an airbag light or a check engine light come on your dash, it creates a code in either your SRS (airbag system) or your engine computer that can be decoded with a scanner. the shop you took your car to should be able to show your what the scanner results are and why they want to replace the clockswitch (sometimes called a clockspring).

a clockspring is a unit in your steering wheel mechanism that allows the steering wheel to spin without causing a bunch of twisting and binding of all of the wiring that is needed to operate your airbag. this part does wear out over time, and may eventually need replacing. i dont really see why the clockspring would have any effect on your dash lights.

you may be dealing with 2 seperate issues here. bottom line, make sure you ask them for some sort of proof of why they want to replace the clockspring before you allow them to start taking apart your dash
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

yeah thanks a lot.. i was confused as to what a clock switch was. they did mention something about those codes, il ask them more about it tomorrow. also, wouldn't the airbag light stay on if there really was something wrong though? because like i said, it turned off on its own a little while later.

Quote Originally Posted by skysail View Post
    wouldn't the airbag light stay on
    i cant really answer that, it depends on the vehicle, and a lot of other factors. but, the codes are kept in the airbag control unit for some amount of time after if the light goes off for trouble shooting issues just like yours. the issue is not that the light was on and turned off on its own, its that the light was on at all in the first place.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004

Which airbag light is on? The one in the clock assembly which simply tells you the status of the P/S airbag ? or the one in the instrument cluster? There is a TSB out for the one in the clock assembly in the dash, which does require replacement of the clock unit to correct...As far as the dash being ripped apart I find that extremely hard to believe I have replaced hundreds of clock springs in subarus as well as instrument clusters and clocks and none of them require removal of the entire dash...they are all very simple jobs...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Which airbag light is on? The one in the clock assembly which simply tells you the status of the P/S airbag ? or the one in the instrument cluster? There is a TSB out for the one in the clock assembly in the dash, which does require replacement of the clock unit to correct...As far as the dash being ripped apart I find that extremely hard to believe I have replaced hundreds of clock springs in subarus as well as instrument clusters and clocks and none of them require removal of the entire dash...they are all very simple jobs...
    Yeah...I don't trust the people you took your car too...I don't know them but from you have said so far....best of luck!!!!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

it was the airbag light in the instrument cluster that turned on. they did an airbag diagnosis and got the code DTC26.. or 17-13-07?? it says both those numbers on my reciept, not sure whats what. so they removed and replaced the clock assembly and now the pass side airbag circuit is complete. after that they did a retest and it was ok

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    i cant really answer that, it depends on the vehicle, and a lot of other factors. but, the codes are kept in the airbag control unit for some amount of time after if the light goes off for trouble shooting issues just like yours. the issue is not that the light was on and turned off on its own, its that the light was on at all in the first place.
    yeah your right.. they found something in the stored history test

glad to hear you got it sorted out...

sweet. airbag and restraint system stuff is expensive, but its not something you really want to leave untouched or unrepaired, because the next thing you know, you could be driving along and minding your own business and your airbags blow up in your face.

you may think its not possible, but i have worked on numerous auto insurance claims where that happened.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004