Car won't start!

This is a discussion on Car won't start! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; my problem is every time I go to fill my tank with gas, my car has a hard time starting. ...

Car won't start!

my problem is every time I go to fill my tank with gas, my car has a hard time starting. Almost like the engine is flooded. so basically for the last month or two I would only fill it 3/4 full and it starts right up. anyone have any ideas what it could be?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Not saying this is the issue, but is possible. When filling up your tank, do you top it off? As in do you keep clicking the fuel nozzle after it has already shut off? If so, it is possible that it is not allowing room for the vapors to move resulting in a possible no start condition. Just a possibility.

I used to "top it off" by stoping the pump at the closest dollar after the click. I beleave this is what caused my problem. so after the first time my car had trouble starting, I stopped topping it off. It will do it every time it's filled, an takes 3-6 tries before it starts.

Is your car modified at all? Just trying to gather more information... and how many miles are on the car?

I have a 06 Wrx tr. 65k stage 2( Cobb turbo back + accessport w/stg2 map 93 oct) and an spt intake. that's about it for engine mods.

Is the check engine light (CEL) on?

Also topping off the gas tank is bad.
    Should I top off my gas tank? - Ask.cars.com
    Don't Top Off Your Gas Tank! | Mid-Atlantic Air Protection

Are you throwing any CEL's? Especially any EVAP codes?

I know i know, shame on me for trying to squeeze an extra 30 in my tank. LoL Nope no engine light ever. I must add once the car starts it's fine until the next fill up. even if I shut it off right away
    it will start first try no problem.

As far as starting out small, I'd say go to your local dealer and get a new gas cap matched to your car. Generally, this would throw a CEL if it was faulty. But I don't know if the AP tuner is just trying to ignore it? It may just not be relaying the correct tank pressure right away? This is one of the smallest fixes I can think of. I don't know how the WRX purge system works.... But, I'd stay start a gas cap. You may be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDew View Post
    I know i know, shame on me for trying to squeeze an extra 30 in my tank.
    When "topping off the tank" that gas doesn't go in to the tank. The tank is already full. That gas is forced in to the charcoal canister and/or feed back in to the stations tanks via the overflow tube built in to the nozzle.

Would I get an CEL if I damaged my charcoal canister? an is it expensive/difficult to replace?

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDew View Post
    Would I get an CEL if I damaged my charcoal canister? an is it expensive/difficult to replace?
    I think you would get a CEL. It's not expensive to replace the charcoal canister (the part is less than $100).