High EGT

This is a discussion on High EGT within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; For several weeks now my 2005 WRX has had higher than normal EGT's. It is Cobb stg 2. When at ...

I Support ClubWRX

High EGT

For several weeks now my 2005 WRX has had higher than normal EGT's. It is Cobb stg 2.
    When at idle it's around 800 to 900 degrees. When driving between 30 and fifty it's running between 1200 and 1400 degrees. At cruuise it runs about 1550 with AFR of 14.7. When I go into boost it jumps to 1550 to 1800 depending on how long I give it throttle. I checked AFR and timing with my Cobb Ap and every thing seems fine. I buy gas at the same station most the time. I took my EGT gauge in to work and put it on a calibrated thermocouple tester with a new thermocouple from Autometer and it worked fine up to 1200 degrees (limit of tester).
    I reflashed the Cobb map and it still does it. I cleaned the MAF to no avail. I checked for leaks after Maf, found none. Anyone have ideas what could cause this? PLugs are new and gapped to 0.030. Car runs fine but I am concerned and would not want to damage my engine. Thanks in advance. Bahama

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What exactly are your mods?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Helix catted down pipe, SMC alcohol injection,Cobb tune, Autometer Boost and EGT gauge, Catback,Apexi up pipe. Had been using PDX tune.
    Last edited by Bahamabob; 12-14-2010 at 04:54 PM.

What octane rated map are you using?

I'm curious if the winter blend fuel is playing hell with your egt's..
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    93 octane, it started being a little high in the summer months towards the end of the season. I think it may be the probe itself. As soon as the weather permits i'm going to change it out. Has any one had a probe go bad? If so what were your indications? Unless they have radically changed the formula for the fuel I don't see how this would cause this. This is a puzzle.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahamabob View Post
    At cruuise it runs about 1550 with AFR of 14.7. When I go into boost it jumps to 1550 to 1800 depending on how long I give it throttle.
    This is an issue.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    It certainly is. The trouble is that I'm not sure if it's false reading from a bad probe or something else. As I stated all parameters read good on AP. AFr's are within specs, IAM at 16, engine running at normal temp, boost max's out at around 16 lbs. No hesitation or misfires as far as I can tell. I have been driving a little less hard since this started. The EGT gauge was jumping around a little on the way home today. Gas mileage is normal.
    It's got me stumped. I ordered a new MAF and it should be in soon. I'm thinking maybe it's non linear. Does'nt hurt to have a spare if it's ok. Alt voltage at 13.8 to 14.2. Grounds look good. All hoses appear to be where they belong. Plugs are new I replaced them when this started as I had ir's in it and I've had problems with them before. I have covered all I can think of except changing the probe. Still open for ideas as this forum has some of the best Suby minds around. MAF installed, no change.
    Last edited by Bahamabob; 12-14-2010 at 04:56 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Bump for help.

I Support ClubWRX
    Without a wideband I don't know what to tell you. You need more data. High EGT's are either fuel or timing, so you need to be able to look at both and compare. Double check the gauges wiring,especially the grounding.
    Last edited by Donkey; 12-19-2010 at 07:13 PM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Probe is in drivers side manifold at the casting dot. Checked the ground and 12V supply. AP reads 14.5 at cruise and goes to around 10.5 to 11.0 when accelerating. I have another EGT gauge I'll try. Still have to change out probe. It still seems to run OK. The indicated temps make me nervous. Timing is 11 at idle and goes as high as 35 at cruise. Thanks