Starting problem - No crank or spark

This is a discussion on Starting problem - No crank or spark within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; A few weeks ago I had the strangest starting problem on my 2002 WRX. The car behaves like I am ...

Starting problem - No crank or spark

A few weeks ago I had the strangest starting problem on my 2002 WRX. The car behaves like I am trying to start it without pushing the clutch pedal. No reaction at all when turning the key, no starter click at all. I thought it may have been an alarm or starter kill issue, but I can bump start the car just fine. The fuel pump comes on fine. After a few days of me and my friends checking fuses, battery cables, the clutch pedal safety switch, etc, it all of a sudden randomly starts just fine, without a single problem for 3 weeks.

Last night after driving all day, the same problem randomly came back. Had to push start to get home, and now in the driveway it still won't start.

I'm new to Subarus so I was not sure if there was a model-specific sensor or switch or fuse to check... I've been searching the forums and can't find anything so far.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

An update to my problem in case anyone finds this thread in the future... The problem turned out to be the clutch pedal safety switch. Bypassing it solved my problem.