06 WRX Hiccups While accelerating?????

This is a discussion on 06 WRX Hiccups While accelerating????? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When I accelerate with my 2006 WRX it almost feels like a hesitation a little bit/Hiccup I guess you could ...

Exclamation 06 WRX Hiccups While accelerating?????

When I accelerate with my 2006 WRX it almost feels like a hesitation a little bit/Hiccup I guess you could call it. It seems like it only does it between take off and around 3500-4k rpm. I don't know if this is normal or if its not normal. I would imagine not because I would think any car would accelerate smoothly but then again this is a whole different engine then I'm used to. Any one have any suggestions or ideas? I posted a thread up about my boost only being at .05mpa, actually a little under that right now which I'm going to get looked at when I get the chance here soon, but just so you know it has been doing this hiccup like thing before that, even when it was running the correct boost a few weeks ago. The car is a 2006 wrx, no mods, it's completely stock everything even intake and exhaust with it just breaking 60k miles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is your check engine light on? When was the last time your spark plugs were changed?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    this is fairly common. A lot of times its just how you are pushing on the gas. At lower RPM's if I am light on the gas the car will do the same thing. A lot of it is just a lack of power at that point and being in a cruising gear trying to accelerate. However, there can be more to it and it wouldnt hurt looking into it (spark plugs, leaks etc). Chances are your fine though. Just the wonderful world of manual transmissions
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I actually just bought the car about a month and a half ago so I honestly have no idea when the plugs were last changed. They couldn't just been done before I bought it or hell they could still be original lol that was o my to do lost definitely though. Also No, there is no check engine light on. So there is all good. I just didn't know if it was normal or not. Once I lay into the throttle it doesn't do it. It's only when I press on the gas pedal a certain amount and hold that position while the car slowly speeds up. It doesn't do it when I full throttle it.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    To be honest, some of this could be due to certain parts like the air filter being dirty, MAF being dirty, and spark plugs being old, but it is very likely a result of the terrible tunes that the cars come with from the factory.

Upon a revised tuning of my 06, the hesitations nearly went completely away. There are still a couple of hesitation moments every now and again which I contribute more to differences in gas qualities and the like, but they are much less numerous than they were before.

I would recommend, since this car is new to you, that you have some routine maintenance done. Spark plugs, air filter, new oil and filter, check the antifreeze, check brake conditions, and probably a good idea to replace the transmission and rear diff fluids as well. A good rule of thumb is that if you don't know the history of the vehicle, assume the work was not done. Trust me, it can come around to bite you in the ass.

It's pretty much standard for me when I buy used vehicles. I did it on my last two, no need to do it on this one since it was brand new.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by zack_1989 View Post
    I actually just bought the car about a month and a half ago so I honestly have no idea when the plugs were last changed. They couldn't just been done before I bought it or hell they could still be original lol that was o my to do lost definitely though. Also No, there is no check engine light on. So there is all good. I just didn't know if it was normal or not. Once I lay into the throttle it doesn't do it. It's only when I press on the gas pedal a certain amount and hold that position while the car slowly speeds up. It doesn't do it when I full throttle it.
    this still sounds normal to me.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    To be honest, some of this could be due to certain parts like the air filter being dirty, MAF being dirty, and spark plugs being old, but it is very likely a result of the terrible tunes that the cars come with from the factory.

Upon a revised tuning of my 06, the hesitations nearly went completely away. There are still a couple of hesitation moments every now and again which I contribute more to differences in gas qualities and the like, but they are much less numerous than they were before.

I would recommend, since this car is new to you, that you have some routine maintenance done. Spark plugs, air filter, new oil and filter, check the antifreeze, check brake conditions, and probably a good idea to replace the transmission and rear diff fluids as well. A good rule of thumb is that if you don't know the history of the vehicle, assume the work was not done. Trust me, it can come around to bite you in the ass.

It's pretty much standard for me when I buy used vehicles. I did it on my last two, no need to do it on this one since it was brand new.
    Awesome man, will do that. I wanted to get some regular maintenance work done to before the cold cold winter kicked in around my area. How much does it usually cost for Trans and Rear Diff. fluid changes on these cars? Just like a ball park guess? Also what about the oil change price I know it's a boxer engine so is it a couple hundred dollars like a porsche engine is? I will ask my mechanics as soon as the week starts on these prices as well it just i figured I'd get a ball park price from you guys since its the weekend, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    this still sounds normal to me.
    Yea I've read all over the place that the boxer engines have a lot of weird and abnormal noises and shakes and vibrations that come with them and your everyday person that has yet to own one before (such as me) it can be a little on edge feeling when you first jump in one and get to observe and feel the way they are, lol. I'm in love with the car so far though man and can't wait to get my exhaust, CAI and Acessport tune done.

ya they definitely have their noises and odditites (is that a word?) Thats what i love about them though.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

If you still have the car check the knock sensor.....