What's the engine doing in this video???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on What's the engine doing in this video??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So my brother in law tackled the uppipe on his 03 wagon last weekend. Seeing how I did mine a ...

Question What's the engine doing in this video???

So my brother in law tackled the uppipe on his 03 wagon last weekend. Seeing how I did mine a couple months ago it started out pretty smooth. Buuuuuut, i had to go to work and then his friend came over to help him put everything back together. He said he drove it home, heard some weird 'bird scream' at high rpm's and then backed off it. Drove it later that night and then come the next morning (which was bitter cold), the car would not start. When he finally got it to start, it sounded like this:
    YouTube Link 1
    YouTube LInk 2

So he got it towed back to my dads, we ripped it all apart and put it all back together only to find that it didn't sound any better. And as i tried to wrap my mind around the sounds this car was making, my dad suggested we check the spark plugs, so we did, and we found the rear passenger side coil plug was broken and would not plug in. The coil pack was still intact, just the plug that plugs into it was broke and would not attach. My question for you brilliant Subaru guys is this, do you believe that this noise, CATASTROPHE, could be attributed to this plug, and if so, how in the world could it go from running one night, to not the next?? And if you don't think this sound is anything close to that, what is it????

Thanks guys!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Sounds like Spun rod bearing. But it could be coil pack related, my mechanic had an STI that was making that noise that had the coil pack back out...
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If the coilpack isn't plugged in all the way then it won't be firing on that cylinder. It sounds like it's running on 3 cylinders in the video and backfiring as well.

The plug may have been on the coil pack well enough to run before, and then become loose on his drive over to your house and not been able to clip back in well enough. That's likely your issue right there. But don't try to start it again until you can get that resolved.

The "bird scream" was likely due to an exhaust leak near the uppipe, either due to a bad gasket or improper tightening of the exhaust bolts/nuts.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon
    Sounds like Spun rod bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    If the coilpack isn't plugged in all the way then it won't be firing on that cylinder. It sounds like it's running on 3 cylinders in the video and backfiring as well.
    That sure would be swell. for reals, that would be sooo nice if that was all it was.

The "bird scream" was likely due to an exhaust leak near the uppipe, either due to a bad gasket or improper tightening of the exhaust bolts/nuts.
    makes sense. The bolts weren't torqued down to spec or sealed. When i pulled it all apart I used some copper rtv on all the new gaskets.

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    I was dumb and stripped the bolt which holds the coil pack in and when i drove it the car didn't sound like that, it still ran and i got a cel. Did you get a cel, and if so what was the code?
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Quote Originally Posted by yamaha_rider619 View Post
    I was dumb and stripped the bolt which holds the coil pack in and when i drove it the car didn't sound like that, it still ran and i got a cel. Did you get a cel, and if so what was the code?
    eh, i got the bolt off the coil but the coil itself wouldnt come out and i didn't search any tricks to get it out besides using a screwdriver to pry it out so i didn't bother with it. the plug that plugs into the coil is whats broke though, the clip on it that keeps it from coming off, broke off so now it doesn't get tight or stay on. I have been trying to find an EJ205 (thats the engine right?) in a junk yard for the plug but so far no dice. any body know where to get a replacement plug w/pig tails???

I Support ClubWRX
    did you get a cel when this happened? what was it?

Or are you sure its the coil pack causing the problem?
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

No CEL.

The plug going into the coil pack is broken, it won't stay on the coil. And I don't have a clue if that is causing the problem, that's what im asking

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeee View Post
    No CEL.

The plug going into the coil pack is broken, it won't stay on the coil. And I don't have a clue if that is causing the problem, that's what im asking
    If the plug isn't staying on the coil, there's no way for the coil to get power, for one, nor the signal to release it into the spark plug. So without that cylinder running AT ALL, it very likely is the problem. It's the first place I would start.

Again though, to avoid any engine damage or damage to any other parts due to unburned fuel, do not start the engine until you have repaired that plug.

As for where to get them, no idea. I'm fairly sure you will have to do some wire splicing though. If you can get the pins out of the current plug in tact and able to get them into a new plug, it will be all the better. But be prepared to do some rewiring.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm a little puzzled on the idea though, because the cylinder should be misfiring or not firing at all and that SHOULD cause a cel.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm a little puzzled on the idea though, because the cylinder should be misfiring or not firing at all and that SHOULD cause a cel.
    From what I've observed, the engine isn't running near long enough to for the ECU to put on a CEL for a misfire. Those misfire codes are often turned on after several cycles of consecutive misfires.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

As for where to get them, no idea. I'm fairly sure you will have to do some wire splicing though. If you can get the pins out of the current plug in tact and able to get them into a new plug, it will be all the better. But be prepared to do some rewiring.
    yeah dude, totally ready to rewire it, just gotta find the badboy. Checking local junk yards, but like i said, no dice so far. only subaru's in junk yards around here are legacy's from the 90's, newest one being a 97, but doesn't look like the same engine and so i wouldn't imagine the same plugs.

as far as the CEL...yeah, the idea that it hasn't run long enough sounds good, but i'm not sure. He said (my bro-in-law) that he hasn't seen a CEL so far sooo, the short run times might be why

I Support ClubWRX
    not sure if you can, but my clip from the wiring harness to coil pack broke. I took a zip tie, wrapper it around the pack/plug and that works great
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I Support ClubWRX
    Umm...That doesn't sound healthy at all....

Is there any chance you reversed the coil pack plugs when you changed the plugs?

not sure if you can, but my clip from the wiring harness to coil pack broke. I took a zip tie, wrapper it around the pack/plug and that works great

Eh, as possible as it sounds, reliable is a word I don't see anywhere near that idea

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Is there any chance you reversed the coil pack plugs when you changed the plugs?
    Never pulled the plugs, had no need to...well probably could, but that wasn't the job at hand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast