Should I be worried about this BOV sound?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Should I be worried about this BOV sound? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afGpvRzo0NE When I go WOT, the sound is the perfect "PSSSHH sounds that you commonly hear everywhere. When I'm in ...

Should I be worried about this BOV sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afGpvRzo0NE

When I go WOT, the sound is the perfect "PSSSHH sounds that you commonly hear everywhere.

When I'm in low boost, or I'm driving slow and build up the boost to let it off, it gives a weird sound thats almost like a compressor surge but then instantly turns into a PSSSHHH sound as you can hear in the video.

Is this normal or is my turbo in danger of failing later in time prematurely? I've been told it's just the wastegate and it's fine.

My mods are:

External wastegate
    Tial BOV
    850CC injectors
    Stock VF39
    Walboro fuel pump
    FMIC
    Upgraded radiator
    Greddy turboback
    Perrin intake
    Manual boost controller

On a tune for 20PSI but I'm running 15PSI until I learn how to drive it better till I turn up the boost.

I know i have alot of stuff that's ready for a big turbo just don't have the money yet

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

As far as I know its perfectly fine dude
    Just as long as you got the right spring ratings for your blow off valve
    Put aside the everyday world and come with us
    Into the realm of imagination
    The middle ground between light and shadow

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    2.5L or 2.0L?

There's no way you'll be getting compressor surge at partial throttle on a 15 PSI tune. I would, however, check the spring rate for you BOV as detailed below. Any particular reason you're running an aftermarket BOV?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    2.5L or 2.0L?

There's no way you'll be getting compressor surge at partial throttle on a 15 PSI tune. I would, however, check the spring rate for you BOV as detailed below. Any particular reason you're running an aftermarket BOV?
    See below..... I guess he doesn't realize "perfect sounds" may cause perfect problems..... He likes to use an MBC too, which of course is highly recommended on these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by kayma View Post
    When I go WOT, the sound is the perfect "PSSSHH sounds that you commonly hear everywhere.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    He likes to use an MBC too, which of course is highly recommended on these cars.
    Yeah, I never quite understood the fascination with manual boost controllers. The EBCS gives much better adaptability and control than manual spring-and-ball boost controllers... it's like a step backwards in automotive evolution...

Facebook me here

Yeah, I never quite understood the fascination with manual boost controllers. The EBCS gives much better adaptability and control than manual spring-and-ball boost controllers... it's like a step backwards in automotive evolution...
    +1!! I hear dsm guys talk bout em all the time stating as if they are cooler than **** that they "controll" the amt of boost " i can go as high as i want"

Think they havent figured it out yet so i let em be, to some ignorance is bliss lol

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones
    He likes to use an MBC too, which of course is highly recommended on these cars.
    On a car that's been custom tuned (with his mod list, I'm guessing he has been), there is absolutely nothing wrong with running an MBC. It's just a different path to the same goal.

Quote Originally Posted by zax
    There are trade-offs.

MBC offers superior boost response to the BCS, at the cost of not allowing the ECU to regulate boost. BCS allows the ECU to regulate boost, at the cost of response.

The solution: install both in a "hybrid" setup.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Nothing wrong with an MBC if your tuned for it. They both have their pros and cons. The EBCS is also a huge PITA to tune and no tuner will ever get one 100% dialed in because of the compensation tables.A good MBC will rarely fail or overboost/spike widly like a EBCS and are easy to adjust. If I over boost in the winter 1-2 psi I just turn it down. With and EBCS unless you know what your doing and have a Tactrix cable your paying for a retune.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    On a car that's been custom tuned (with his mod list, I'm guessing he has been), there is absolutely nothing wrong with running an MBC. It's just a different path to the same goal.
    I didn't see anything listed about what tune (if any) he's running, so I didn't assume there's a custom tune.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The solution: install both in a "hybrid" setup.
    I'm not familiar with this setup... Is this similar to utilizing a 3-port solenoid? I know with the 3-port EBCS you can cut your WGDC in half and get better response. How do you run a manual boost controller with an electronic solenoid in the same setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    A good MBC will rarely fail or overboost/spike widly like a EBCS and are easy to adjust. If I over boost in the winter 1-2 psi I just turn it down. With and EBCS unless you know what your doing and have a Tactrix cable your paying for a retune.
    Ah, that's true... I'm just not wild about removing the ECU's ability to control boost. Allowing the ECU to pull boost and engage limp mode when detecting conditions such as knock [to me] is an imperative. Although, if you are really careful, I can see the draw to an MBC...
    Last edited by zax; 12-09-2010 at 04:30 PM.

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax
    I'm not familiar with this setup... Is this similar to utilizing a 3-port solenoid? I know with the 3-port EBCS you can cut your WGDC in half and get better response. How do you run a manual boost controller with an electronic solenoid in the same setup?
    new hybrid mbc/ebc method of boost control - NASIOC
    Last edited by EJ257; 12-10-2010 at 11:24 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

"On a tune for 20PSI but I'm running 15PSI until I learn how to drive it better till I turn up the boost."

So yes I am tuned but for 20PSI.

So the sound is fine then? It doesn't sound like the intense compression surge sounds that I hear about on youtube. It's some odd sound. It's like it has the awesome surge sound for like 50 millaseconds and then goes to a PSSSHHH sound. I guess its just the external wastegate?

and the reason for the aftermarket BOV is because I'm ready to swap in a bigger turbo as you can see in my mod list lol.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by kayma View Post
    and the reason for the aftermarket BOV is because I'm ready to swap in a bigger turbo as you can see in my mod list lol.
    You are aware of the problems associated with running a BOV, correct? The stock BPV will hold reliably over 20PSI, but your bottom end won't. I think you need to do some research before your car ends up on a flatbed.

Facebook me here

Yes I'm aware an aftermarket BOV isn't all that perfect. And I'm not going over 20 PSI so my bottom end will be fine...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.