P0244 - Fuel Cut - Time for AccessPORT?

This is a discussion on P0244 - Fuel Cut - Time for AccessPORT? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, this is a second thread for my problem, only because the problem has been narrowed down significantly since the ...

P0244 - Fuel Cut - Time for AccessPORT?

Ok, this is a second thread for my problem, only because the problem has been narrowed down significantly since the start of my last thread, thanks to Donkey and others.

I just bought my 2004 WRX about 5 days ago, so I don't know much about it. I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I'm not car stupid either. The only performance mod that I know of (or that the person that sold it knows of) done to the car is a performance exhaust, which when I look at from bending over (haven't put it on my lift yet) is a catless TBE.

When in 4th or 5th gear and floored, the car accelerates like it should for a second, then I get the fuel cut and CEL light P0244 (wastegate malfunction). Other than that, in normal driving, it works great. The previous owner said they didn't experience this, but as a female (IM NOT SEXIST) school teacher I don't really see her racing on the back roads.

I've done my research, and it seems like it's a boost creep (though I don't have a gauge yet), would a Cobb stage 2 map fix this? Is there a way to get out of this cheaper than $600? Is it safe to drive the car like this until I get the money for an AP?

Before realizing this was the right route, I spent $300 at subaru, and they say the entire turbo may be bad, but I disagree as it works great until highway speeds.

Side question, does anyone know of any tuning shops in Maine?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do not push boost until you put some EM on that. It's ok to drive, but not a great idea. Get the EM on it and you'll be fine. You can do it a bit cheaper than buying an AP by getting a cable and paying for a custom tune.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Do not push boost until you put some EM on that. It's ok to drive, but not a great idea. Get the EM on it and you'll be fine. You can do it a bit cheaper than buying an AP by getting a cable and paying for a custom tune.
    So the EM will stop the boost creep? Can you explain what the ECU is telling the engine to do differently? If I get an AP, it would be stage 2 correct?

The EM should stop the boost creep if the only mod is a catless TBE. Boost creep is rising boost due to not enough exhaust bypassing the turbo housing, i.e. the boost doesn't know when to say "enough is enough" and keeps building since there's nowhere else for it to go.

Yes it would be stage 2.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    The EM should stop the boost creep if the only mod is a catless TBE. Boost creep is rising boost due to not enough exhaust bypassing the turbo housing, i.e. the boost doesn't know when to say "enough is enough" and keeps building since there's nowhere else for it to go.

Yes it would be stage 2.
    I hope your right! That seems to be the consensus.

Would I be better off buying an accessport or driving someplace for a protune, price wise? Including the 100 - 150 in gas of course.