Best high milage winter oil?

This is a discussion on Best high milage winter oil? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ive only had my oil changed twice since Ive had my car (03 WRX) and was wondering what is the ...

Best high milage winter oil?

Ive only had my oil changed twice since Ive had my car (03 WRX) and was wondering what is the best oil weight/type/brand for winter driving (30-50 degrees) and for a car with 120k miles? As far as I know it didn't get full synthetic before I had it so I don't really want to start now and cause any problems since the mileage is up there.

Is it normal for these cars to use/burn a little oil in between oil changes? I have about 1500 miles on the current oil and the level is down at the bottom of the F on the dipstick.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I wouldn't worry about switching up oils for winter for those temp ranges; 5w30 or whatever your cars favourite flavour is will be fine.

Any/all cars burn at least some oil between changes, whether or not it's a measurable amount or not. Considering your mileage, what you've described is well within an acceptable range.

Edit: assuming you meant F as in Full, rather than Fill.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Quote Originally Posted by wasisnt View Post
    Ive only had my oil changed twice since Ive had my car (03 WRX) and was wondering what is the best oil weight/type/brand for winter driving (30-50 degrees) and for a car with 120k miles? As far as I know it didn't get full synthetic before I had it so I don't really want to start now and cause any problems since the mileage is up there.

Is it normal for these cars to use/burn a little oil in between oil changes? I have about 1500 miles on the current oil and the level is down at the bottom of the F on the dipstick.
    If you are asking opinions I have tried prob. 6 different oils in my WRX and I am most pleased with Valvoline. You kind of have to find out what works for you, or your vehicle rather, fore alot of people swear by Mobil1 however I personally wouldnt put it in my lawn mower ( figure of speach of course as my lawn mower takes 2 cycle oil )... There are tons of threads out there on this site and others and many comparisons on a google search and such however in my opinion you can only read so much before you try and oil and try again, As said though I would recommend Valvoline...

In not too picky since this is my daily driver... sort of and its most likely going to stay stock. Plus In sure I wouldn't notice the difference between different brands. As long as its a good oil and does the job then brand doesn't matter. Have you heard anything about the high mileage oils actually being better for a high mileage car? I know Valvoline has their high mileage oil that's been around forever.

In not too picky since this is my daily driver... sort of and its most likely going to stay stock. Plus In sure I wouldn't notice the difference between different brands. As long as its a good oil and does the job then brand doesn't matter. Have you heard anything about the high mileage oils actually being better for a high mileage car? I know Valvoline has their high mileage oil that's been around forever.
    Well alot of oils advertise that their high mileage characteristics are better than others which I do somewhat agree on. I came to the conclusion to use Valvoline after trying a bunch of oils and seeing the difference it makes.... I would recommend doing perhaps a google search for comparison information before you choose, or just try a couple different reputable oils and you might be able to notice a difference like I did...

Any good quality oil will be fine. Flat engines tend to burn more oil than other designs. Your burn rate is perfectly normal for this type of engine with that many miles.

I'd go with the standard weight oil and use a synthetic. It'll protect better than a conventional oil and last much longer between oil changes, which offsets the additional cost. High mileage oils are designed for high mileage cars, so get one of those if you have access to them.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    I came to the conclusion to use Valvoline after trying a bunch of oils and seeing the difference it makes....
    What exact difference did it make?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

i thought it wasn't good to switch to synthetic when you already have a lot of miles on the car?

i thought it wasn't good to switch to synthetic when you already have a lot of miles on the car?
    This is false. Synthetic > conventional in all properties.

The only negative to synthetic over conventional in high mileage motors is it flows easier than conventional due to its superior lubricating properties, so it can leak past worn rings and other parts easier than conventional. You can go one weight heavier than normal to combat this.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I just put 5w30 Castrol GTX into my rex for the winter. It's part synthetic so you get the benefits of both. I'm right around the same mileage as OP.
    -Holden
    Bugeye wagon - ERZ Uppipe - TurboXS Axleback - Swift Springs - JNA Lip

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post

What exact difference did it make?
    EXAMPLE: With Mobil one synthetic no matter what weight, always on cold start I would get a puff of blue smoke ( yes yes, key sign that the valve guide seals are going bad however I know for a fact that this is not the case )...Hence as to why I would not recommend Mobil 1 to anyone, Just my experience...( I have tried 6 different kinds and the only one that car does this on is Mobil 1. )