Subaru WRX Forum banner

2003 wrx grinding noise when letting off gas

7K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  EvoEatr 
#1 ·
the grinding noise can barely be heard from drivers seat but is very noticeable from passengers seat sounds like its coming from under passengers seat under the floor boards and it only happens when letting off the gas in gear anyone know what it could be

#5 ·
As mentioned, check the basics first such as loose heat shields and such...How many miles are on the vehicle? Say you are cruising at 50 mph in 4th gear and throw the vehicle in neutral is the noise still present? Say you are in the same gear at the same speed and let off the gas...is the noise there? ....Does the noise only happen in one gear? Do you hear the noise at idle? Does the noise change with engine RPM, like if you are sitting at idle and rev the engine do you hear the noise change or even occur at all?

#7 ·
if you are 100% sure you only hear the noise in gear, than I can most likely say it isnt a wheel bearing problem... From what your saying it sounds to me like you might have a pinion bearing problem in the transmission, however I dont want to throw up red flags without actually getting my hands on the car...

#8 ·
Yeah I thought pinion bearing but that sound should be equally head from either side considering its located in the middle of the car but the noise id way louder from passengers side I didn't even notice it till my friend drove the car and I sat in the passengers seat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.