Jacking up a 2011 WRX...

This is a discussion on Jacking up a 2011 WRX... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; OK...maybe I'm retarded (ok I'm definitely retarded), but HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET THIS CAR IN THE AIR? The ...

Jacking up a 2011 WRX...

OK...maybe I'm retarded (ok I'm definitely retarded), but HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET THIS CAR IN THE AIR?

The crossmember is really far back, and, though I can get the jack back there, the front end is too low pump the jack's arm at all. I run into the same problem running from the side.

The only solution I could think of (and this is also retarded) would be to jack up one side, put a jackstand under it, and then jack the other side. I value my car and life though, so this didn't seem like a reasonable solution.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Are you using a low profile jack? From what i understand you want to jack the whole front end all together correct?

Quote Originally Posted by ElVerde View Post
    OK...maybe I'm retarded (ok I'm definitely retarded), but HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET THIS CAR IN THE AIR?
    When I first read this I had a different idea!

Apparently what I need to get the car up is a low profile jack...hooray for owning 2 jacks haha.

And yeah, if I could just hit a rally jump, freeze in mid air, change the oil, and then unpause and drive away haha
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

I Support ClubWRX
    Pretty sure the owners manual tells you exactly how to jack up the car and where the jack points are.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Jack up one side (at pinch weld or subframe), jack stand, jack up other side, jack stand... Vehicle in air, ready to go

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    Jack up one side (at pinch weld or subframe), jack stand, jack up other side, jack stand... Vehicle in air, ready to go
    Yeah, I had tried that too...but the sideskirts are so low that my jack hits them before reaching the subframe. I suppose I could jack via the pinch welds and put the jackstands under the subframe...I was just worried that after getting one side on the jackstand it could shift too much while jacking up the other side. You say no problem there?
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

Quote Originally Posted by ElVerde View Post
    Yeah, I had tried that too...but the sideskirts are so low that my jack hits them before reaching the subframe. I suppose I could jack via the pinch welds and put the jackstands under the subframe...I was just worried that after getting one side on the jackstand it could shift too much while jacking up the other side. You say no problem there?
    I've had no problem with that, changed my oil twice that way just make sure the parking brake is on. Low profile jack would get under there easier. With other lowered cars I've also driven the car on 2x4 boards to raise it up a little, that works too.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The owners manual states where to pick the car up if you need to change tires - but I hate using that spot - I always feel like I am bending something.

To change my oil - I bought low profile ramps. Much safer and faster than the jack. If I ever need to pick the entire front end up (and can't have the ramps), I drive up on the ramps and then put the jack on the jackstand that sits just in front of the transmission.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    I've had no problem with that, changed my oil twice that way just make sure the parking brake is on. Low profile jack would get under there easier. With other lowered cars I've also driven the car on 2x4 boards to raise it up a little, that works too.
    Well, even though I was nervous I took your word for it. I was really afraid the jackstand in place would move or even fall over when I jacked up the other side, but I had no such problems. I think the best solution long term, however, will probably be a good set of ramps.

Only other I ran into was the Subaru oil filter being on so damn tight. A set of 12" adjustable pliers took care of that problem

Thanks for all of the help everybody
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

I've had my '13 for four months and now 1200 miles. It's only been up in the air by two places 1) The PDI tech from the dealer I got it from and 2) Les Schwab tire as I got a nail in my tire the 3rd day I had my car. Im pissed because I can't tell who screwed up my pinch welds and side skirts?? was looking under my car today just checking out the chassis out of curiosity when I noticed some uneven bends along the pinch weld area, every place where the pinch weld is slightly crushed the rocker has a scuff or chunk out of it.

I watched the guy at Le Schwab tire fix my car and not only did he tell me he owns a heavy modded Bug Eye, but he seemed to take care in what he was doing. I notice he used a full car lift, the kind that has those four arms you adjust to the area you want to touch on the chassis. This is what makes me believe Subaru was careless lifting the car at the dealer. I know it has not needed to be lifted any other time as I watched my car gejt delivered off the truck when I got it with 2 miles on the odometer, but it still had to get a once over from the PDI tech before I could bring it home.

After reading the manual about where to jack or lift the car, I am left puzzled and unclear where the best spot is. The manual says to jack at the pinch welds near the tires at all four corners. Not only does the rocker panels not provide almost any room for that, but the metal looks really soft there and not like it can handle holding the weight of a WRX. I too would like to know where the safest place to lift this car is before I or anyone else does anymore damage under my car.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8