P0304, bad injector?

This is a discussion on P0304, bad injector? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So about a week ago I got this code and I cleaned the MAF and reset the ecu... the code ...

P0304, bad injector?

So about a week ago I got this code and I cleaned the MAF and reset the ecu... the code came back up again, and I started it the other day and I think I smelled gas... I've read about 2 dozen threads about misfires and I'm started to think its the injector... I replaced the plugs about 5K miles ago and had no trouble up till now... so does anyone know a cheap place to get a new blue injector and does anyone know anything else I should try prior to replacing the whole injector... I haven't noticed any loss in power or anything weird other then on cold starts I can smell gas sometimes and it kinda sounds like microphone feedback... a weird ringing sound for a little bit... help please...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If it is a bad injector you ought to be able to switch positions with any other injector, and the CEL should follow the injector. This isn't an insignificant amount of work but it is at least on its surface logical.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

You can check the waves of the injector with a digital oscilloscope to see if its bad.
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

Donkey- Are you talking about the #6 grounding wire? If so where do I get 1 and where do I install it at?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    Donkey- Are you talking about the #6 grounding wire? If so where do I get 1 and where do I install it at?
    Not 100% sure what your talking about? All I mentioned about grounds was cleaning the factory connections.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Well I replaced the spark plug and switched the coil packs around and reset the ecu and it still is throwing the same misfire code for cylinder 4... I even sprayed down the connecters on the coil pacy and the coil pack itself... I took it to the dealer and they said the injector looks good too... so the only other thing I can think of is regrounding the connection to the coil pack... (and cleaning the ground connections)... arrgh this is a pita!!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

I'm going to do a compression test tomorrow ...

So I'm kinda confused at this point right now with this damn car... Yes, I know there is more that still has to be checked, but if this misfire issue turns out to be low compression in that cylinder I'm eventually going to have to rebuild the motor... I do have an extended warranty on it, so my question is will they think its necessary to rebuild the motor over low compression in just 1 cylinder?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    So I'm kinda confused at this point right now with this damn car... Yes, I know there is more that still has to be checked, but if this misfire issue turns out to be low compression in that cylinder I'm eventually going to have to rebuild the motor... I do have an extended warranty on it, so my question is will they think its necessary to rebuild the motor over low compression in just 1 cylinder?
    What they think isn't quite as relevant as what is specified. For example, on my 2.0 L motor the service limit is 121 PSI at 350 RPM (or is it 300, I forgot). If a cyl is below the service limit and you have an agreement in place covering the motor, well that should be that as they say.

Now, if you have modified the car and/or installed unauthorized parts, I don't know what their response will be.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    What they think isn't quite as relevant as what is specified. For example, on my 2.0 L motor the service limit is 121 PSI at 350 RPM (or is it 300, I forgot). If a cyl is below the service limit and you have an agreement in place covering the motor, well that should be that as they say.

Now, if you have modified the car and/or installed unauthorized parts, I don't know what their response will be.
    Hmm... thanks for the input... I'm hoping its okay and just a ground issue with the coil pack... as far as my mods go...

-stage 1 reflash
    -CBE
    -silencer delete with elbow piece

So it is very lightly modified...IMO and I would plan on reflashing the stock map putting it "back to stock" so to speak... I've bought a warranty through this company before and never had a problem on both of my prior cars covered through them... so I just hope I'm not SOL here, cause my registration has to be renewed here on march first so this issue has to be solved asap...
    I love my subaru and still believe they build quality car, but it would discourage me from buying another one in the future...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801