trans oil, diff oil, and transfer case

This is a discussion on trans oil, diff oil, and transfer case within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I need to swap out the fluids on the trans, both differentials, and the transfer case. How do I do ...

trans oil, diff oil, and transfer case

I need to swap out the fluids on the trans, both differentials, and the transfer case. How do I do this for each component? and what sort of oil should I use for each. I have a 2004 wrx manual trans.
    2004 wrx remo red. mods; up-pipe, muffler delete with costume axel back exhaust, big ass mid-pipe leak (loud as hell, result of up-pipe install :P)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The gearbox, front diff, centre diff, and transfer case share lubrication (I'm generalizing and leaving out details but the point is, you only fill the gearbox to cover everything up front in your case).

The rear diff can use the same gear oil as the gearbox generally.

You can read this thread for info:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/genera...hp?t=134288720

or you can -- and should -- read your manual to select the correct viscosity for a GL5 (and I suspect MT-1) gear oil; in my area, it's 75W-90.

Then you can either pick something from the thread above, go buy regular Valvoline, or look into Subaru Extra-S. Your call.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

How do ou actuly change it? Is it just like changing the engine oil. My friend says I will need to buy new seals.
    2004 wrx remo red. mods; up-pipe, muffler delete with costume axel back exhaust, big ass mid-pipe leak (loud as hell, result of up-pipe install :P)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bushman95 View Post
    How do ou actuly change it? Is it just like changing the engine oil. My friend says I will need to buy new seals.
    Search "how to change transmission oil" and threads like this come up:
    DIY: Transmission Fluid Change

You will need to determine whether you have the conventional drain bolt on the gearbox or the torx unit instead. I don't know for your model.

You can buy a replacement crush washer for the gearbox and use RTV on the drain bolt on the rear diff. I use a torque wrench.

You do not need to remove the intercooler.

Does your friend own an Impreza?
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

What exactly do you mean when you ask what kind of oil should you use? The manual carries specific weights.

If you want to upgrade the oils, you can't go wrong with Royal Purple. There's other brands of the same caliber but they're the big name.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    What exactly do you mean when you ask what kind of oil should you use? The manual carries specific weights.

If you want to upgrade the oils, you can't go wrong with Royal Purple. There's other brands of the same caliber but they're the big name.
    Just to throw in my $.02 here, Royal Purple was by far the WORST oil I've ever had in my transmissions. My 02 WRX was switched out to Royal Purple and it had all kinds of issues after that. Switched to a full redline and all of those problems disappeared. I've run Subaru fluid (best for brand new transmissions and worn transmission), Amsoil (best so far for general driving), Uncle Scotties CT (amazing combination, really hates the cold though), full Redline (does the job, but wouldn't say well), and Royal Purple. The RP was just horrible.

I know many people recommend their oils in other transmission and they very well may do well in those, but Subarus just don't seem to like it much.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Just to throw in my $.02 here, Royal Purple was by far the WORST oil I've ever had in my transmissions. My 02 WRX was switched out to Royal Purple and it had all kinds of issues after that. Switched to a full redline and all of those problems disappeared. I've run Subaru fluid (best for brand new transmissions and worn transmission), Amsoil (best so far for general driving), Uncle Scotties CT (amazing combination, really hates the cold though), full Redline (does the job, but wouldn't say well), and Royal Purple. The RP was just horrible.

I know many people recommend their oils in other transmission and they very well may do well in those, but Subarus just don't seem to like it much.
    I'm not going to disagree with this. Different trans and other parts can react strange to different fluids. Engine oil is the only one that you can really say "the better it lubricates the better it is period."
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I'm not going to disagree with this. Different trans and other parts can react strange to different fluids. Engine oil is the only one that you can really say "the better it lubricates the better it is period."
    Right you are sir, right you are. Again, it was just my experience, so maybe others have had luck with it, but all I know is grind in gears 2-4 every time no matter how slow I shifted wasn't something I was willing to live with. The fact that the new fluid corrected all of that tells me it had to have been the RP. So, again, just warning from someone who's used it before.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    From the avatars I think you guys have different gearboxes though. The 6spd may be OK with RP for all I know. What I am certain about though WRT RP is that I am... uncertain whether they actually make a GL5!

I looked on their site, and they say they have fluids that "exceed" GL4 or GL5 specs. This to me means they do not make a GL5

Anyone know, just for the benefit of people searching in the future (I don't use the stuff anyway)?

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't see any specific GL-5 rated fluids, but their Max Gear fluid is supposed to be speifically for transmission and diffs that require GL-4 or GL-5 fluid, according to their site.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Yeah with the nature of what they do, sometimes they just list things as "exceeding" a certain very high rating. That doesn't mean a transmission will like it.
    Scott

ok I will probably just get whatever oem is.