Tune Up/Coil Question

This is a discussion on Tune Up/Coil Question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2002 WRX Wagon that just coded for a #3 Cylinder misfire (it has been idling rough lately) ...

Tune Up/Coil Question

I have a 2002 WRX Wagon that just coded for a #3 Cylinder misfire (it has been idling rough lately)

When I look up the prices for a coil 'pack' & I see $90 - $110 is that for all 4? Or for EACH one?

What parts should I get for a tune up? Plugs, wires(?) and just the misbehaving coil (if that price is each)?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    There are no wires.

Refer to the how-to thread for info on changing plugs.

The way to troubleshoot coils is to swap their position and see if the CEL follows the coil.

Check connections first though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

WRXs have individual coils for each cylinder. You can also check the condition of the coil via a multimeter with resistance measuring capabilities.
    Last edited by armindk; 12-01-2010 at 10:21 AM.

Ok, thanks for the replys and I've read the sticky about misfires & already knew that the WRX had a coil for each cylinder which brings me back to the first part of the question...

When I am ordering a coil online and I see coil pack for $89, does that mean I get 4 coils for $89 or do I have to order $89x4 if I want to replace all the coils at the same time to give the car a tune up?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bingchudie View Post
    Ok, thanks for the replys and I've read the sticky about misfires & already knew that the WRX had a coil for each cylinder which brings me back to the first part of the question...

When I am ordering a coil online and I see coil pack for $89, does that mean I get 4 coils for $89 or do I have to order $89x4 if I want to replace all the coils at the same time to give the car a tune up?
    The coils are not expendable parts.

The price is for each coil.

You do not know you need a coil replaced yet so if I were you I'd consider holding on to as much money as possible until you have a definite answer.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks SD_GR,

That's what I wanted to know. I'll change the plugs and clean the connections and see what happens.

I just recently had a full fuel system cleaning but will also run some more valve cleaner through.