major vacuum leak?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on major vacuum leak? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so I just got my 2004 wrx and my friend and I went to seafoam the engine. We took ...

major vacuum leak?

Ok so I just got my 2004 wrx and my friend and I went to seafoam the engine. We took off a vacuum line and started then engine and poured the seafoam into the engine. Normally when we do this a little tiny bit of white smoke comes out the exhaust. However when we put it in my car it looked like a house fire. There was white smoke pouring out of the exhaust. The engine was incredibly dirty, took 2 cans of seafoam to get it to clean. it ran much much much smoother after doing this, I can barley tell the engine is on now. While putting in all the seafoam it threw a misfire code so we reset it with a code scanner. While we were in there we noticed the vacuum we running at 11 which seems low. I looked around and the norm seems to be 20. What I think is happening is that there is a vacuum leak that is causing outside unfiltered air to come into the engine. This would explain why the car was so incredibly dirty. As a side not white smoke not only came out of the exhaust but from all around the manifolds and turbo. I think it has some significant boost leeks and bad gaskets. I am wondering where to start looking for a vacuum leak and if it is ok to drive like this.
    2004 wrx remo red. mods; up-pipe, muffler delete with costume axel back exhaust, big ass mid-pipe leak (loud as hell, result of up-pipe install :P)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bushman95 View Post
    Ok so I just got my 2004 wrx and my friend and I went to seafoam the engine. We took off a vacuum line and started then engine and poured the seafoam into the engine. Normally when we do this a little tiny bit of white smoke comes out the exhaust. However when we put it in my car it looked like a house fire. There was white smoke pouring out of the exhaust. The engine was incredibly dirty, took 2 cans of seafoam to get it to clean. it ran much much much smoother after doing this, I can barley tell the engine is on now. While putting in all the seafoam it threw a misfire code so we reset it with a code scanner. While we were in there we noticed the vacuum we running at 11 which seems low. I looked around and the norm seems to be 20. What I think is happening is that there is a vacuum leak that is causing outside unfiltered air to come into the engine. This would explain why the car was so incredibly dirty. As a side not white smoke not only came out of the exhaust but from all around the manifolds and turbo. I think it has some significant boost leeks and bad gaskets. I am wondering where to start looking for a vacuum leak and if it is ok to drive like this.
    Has the CEL ever been on for like a lean or a rich code? As far as the seafoam induction, did the car run ok before you did this or did you run sea-foam through it to try and fix a problem you were having? Does the car hit target boost level? If you have an incling about a vacuum leak you can always run the vehicle at idle and with a can of 2+2 gum cutter spray generously around all the intake gaskets and vacuum/boost lines and if the idle changes well, you have found a leak...This has always proven a reliable test when I suspect something... Which vacuum line did you run the sea-foam through?

I am not sure if it is hitting target boost, I don't have a boost gauge yet. Given the amount of smoke coming out from around the turbo and manifolds I would say there is no way it is hitting target boost. I was trying to solve a problem where The idol speed randomly drops to the point where the car almost turns off but then comes back to life. It does this frequently. I am not sure if this is related to a vacuum leak. I am not sure which line I put it in just a random vacuum line. I has never thrown a lean or rich code though. I can't see how else the engine could be that dirty unless it was sucking in unfiltered air.
    2004 wrx remo red. mods; up-pipe, muffler delete with costume axel back exhaust, big ass mid-pipe leak (loud as hell, result of up-pipe install :P)

I Support ClubWRX
    Its that dirty mostly due to injesting PCV gases and the rich stock tuning. If you saw smoke coming out from the exhaust manifolds then you need to fix that. A leak close to the front O2 sensor could cause some issues. Probably loose bolts or blown gasket. As far as you idling problem it could be a lot of things. IAC valve,post MAF leak,dirty MAF,vacuum leak....Check all vacuum lines and the intake tract.
    What gauge did you use to get the vacuum reading? List any engine/exhaust mods done to the car. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/genera...hp?t=134326138
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I recently cut off the muffler but that shouldent effect it. I just got the car and it has 93k on it. I just decided to do the seafood because I had to drive 300mi back to school and wanted a clean engine. I just look at the engine and I don't see any obvious vacuum leeks. Right now I don't have acess to any diagnostic tool. It has been diying down at idol ever sence I got it though. It probably needs new seals on the turbo and manifold. I am thinking of getting and up pipe and down pipe so I would replace the seals then. When I went to look at it there was and there is a very slight high pitch noise that sounds like it is coming from the diverted valve or something near it. The noise come randomly and lasts for differnt amount of times. It seems unrelated to the dips in idol speed though. I seems very drivable runs fine excepct occasionally at idol. Still pulls pretty hard but could be a lot better if the tubo wasn't leaking.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.