Gates Timing Belt Kit - My Impressions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Gates Timing Belt Kit - My Impressions within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; sd_gr im due for my timing belt and i was wondering where you got your kit and seals? im looking ...

sd_gr im due for my timing belt and i was wondering where you got your kit and seals? im looking at the gates kit with water pump for my 02 wrx but it doesnt come with the seals, did you have to go to the stealership for them? and im debating weather to tackle it by myself or paying some one to do it. i would love to do it myself and gain the confidence and knowledge but im affraid of screwing things up. its my only car unfortunetlly and im wondering if i can get it done in a day. did you need any special tools? I wish i had few friends that were more mechanically inclined then me but my friends look at me like a mechanic... what would a garage typically charge in labor to do this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Shop around for the Gates kit from the site vendors, comparing prices and including the water pump.

Go to the dealer for the water pump gasket and thermostat gasket, the seals, the coolant, and the thermostat.

I had no special tools except torque wrenches. To remove the seals I used wood screws and o-ring picks but I ended up wrecking the picks. To instal seals I used motor oil as lube and socket wrenches as taps to hammer them in. To remove the cam sprockets I used the old belt and vise grips as shown in another thread. I did find the best quality 10 mm hex I could to use on the cam bolts, but everything else was hobbyist quality hand tools.

It took me a full weekend with a buddy and pizza breaks. I had another car so plan B was always to flatbed the Subaru to a garage if the luck ran out. Some parts were intimidating as I have zero mechanical ability. I recommend listening to blues music it worked for me.

In my area garages charge $800+ USD last I heard but you'll get the car in day if you insist. If you mess up bad you're out a motor; however for me with the help from the guys here and a local friend, I saved $500 or so. It's a $4K gamble but the car was designed by other humans so it's feasible to take it apart and put it together if you're careful, lucky, or both.

Doing it increased my respect for actual mechanics and the guys on the forum that posted to my rescue.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Update, 55K miles later:

During a routine gear oil change I noticed coolant residue, initially seemingly on the hose from the water pump base to the oil cooler. The more I looked though, the worse it looked: "oh, hose clamp; oh, hose itself; oh, water pump gasket, oh, water pump itself!"

I go through water pumps. My first, the Subaru original, was changed by the dealer under warranty around 60K. The second, I replaced as stated above in 2010. The third, the Gates, seeped in 2014.

I spoke with a trusted, experienced pro locally. He told me to try Aisin. He likes their pumps, doesn't like warranty returns or unhappy clientele, and uses them routinely.

Since I've had both a factory Japanese Subaru and a Gates fail, I felt I had nothing to lose. The car now has an Aisin pump.

Since the timing belt was coming off, it was replaced 50K early, with another Gates. Like the initial Subaru belt, this Gates belt looked just fine and I would have once again been tempted to keep it but as anyone that's done the job knows the belt is the least of the worries. I just sprang for it.

The tensioner and rollers were OK too, and they're back on the car. The seals are dry. I sprang for a new OEM thermostat and OEM pump and stat gaskets, blue coolant, and conditioner.

We'll see how the Aisin fairs, but let the record show my experience with Gates was comparable with the original Subaru pump, and I'd have just used another Gates if my friend had no suggestions (I'm curious and was feeling adventurous).

So 2 water pumps and two radiators plus one thermostat housing have failed so far.

The plan is to go 100K unless something unforeseen happens with this pump, or the rollers, tensioner, or seals don't make it to 150K total since I didn't replace those this time.

We'll see!
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

When tackling this project, would you change the water pump or just the theromstat and the gasket ?
    I have 106000 and no problems with the water pump...would it be a good idea to change it anyways?

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes. Mainly because of the bearing in the waterpump that is not serviceable or replaceable. If it fails then kiss your valves goodbye.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree. I'd change the water pump.

Quick quest, I aligned the crank sprocket tick mark and the passenger side lined up good but the drivers side white marks are 1-2 cm off from alignment, what do I do? Just take it of as is? BTW I'm taking off the old timing belt

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by homflake View Post
    Quick quest, I aligned the crank sprocket tick mark and the passenger side lined up good but the drivers side white marks are 1-2 cm off from alignment, what do I do? Just take it of as is? BTW I'm taking off the old timing belt
    Have you removed the old belt yet, or is this what you are faced with BEFORE removing the old belt?

Before removing it

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by homflake View Post
    Before removing it
    You may be describing something similar to post #10, this thread:
    Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement

Follow those instructions.

Also see post #2 in this thread:
    Meatys Timing Belt Changing Guide - NASIOC

and this thread's description:
    http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread...ng-12617.html?

The sprocket marks should line up to the marks on the engine and to one another.

Is this the first time the car has had its belt changed?

(I think there is a 2-tooth allowance, but don't know if 2 teeth = 2 cm).

I Support ClubWRX
    Thought this might help someone; Gates vs 2005-era OEM Subaru water pumps. The Subaru pump has an enclosed fan. Both have failed at 60K in my hands so I give the advantage to neither. The corrosion is from storage, not use. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409539392.805567.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	239.1 KB 
ID:	164353

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12