About the Idleing of a WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on About the Idleing of a WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm sure some of you have discussed this before which is great because you should by now know an answer ...

Question About the Idleing of a WRX

I'm sure some of you have discussed this before which is great because you should by now know an answer of somewhat. I own a 2006 WRX with 58k miles on it now. Its completely stock and I just recently purchased it so I'm totally new to the whole stock boosted car scene and especially the Boxer engine scene. My car idles some what rough from time to time but what I have noticed is that the rpm's do not move what so ever. Just a slight bump/shake like feeling here and there when its idling, preferably when its hot and warmed up and or driven for a little bit. Does that sound normal, is that normal, does anyone else have these issues/non-issue maybe with their car? My car doesn't smoke or anything either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Perfectly normal, mine has done it with both an old tired engine and a brand new one.

Get used to hearing odd noises, they will change with the seasons, sometimes you will figure out where it's coming from other times you will never hear it again. Make sure it always has clean oil, throw a new fuel filter on it and enjoy.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    Perfectly normal, mine has done it with both an old tired engine and a brand new one.

Get used to hearing odd noises, they will change with the seasons, sometimes you will figure out where it's coming from other times you will never hear it again. Make sure it always has clean oil, throw a new fuel filter on it and enjoy.
    I'm curious though, if you pop your hood and put your head right next to the turbo is it supposed to sound like: bum bum bum bum bum, even stock everything? You can also hear it when you in the car and what not its just easier to hear it if you head is under the hood.

The WRX in general has a fairly unique sound because of the unequal length header. I think that might be what you're hearing.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post
    The WRX in general has a fairly unique sound because of the unequal length header. I think that might be what you're hearing.
    agreed. The turbo is not spooling at idle, so you are likely hearing the exhaust pulse interference (courtesy of the unequal length headers). My motor always sounds like it's about to blow up

Something to check:
    Is your defrost on? If so, the "bump/shake" is usually because your A/C compressor just kicked on -- this happens with your defrost enabled.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    How rough is "rough"? Our cars do shake more than most due to the engine layout, but it shouldn't be that bad.

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    agreed. The turbo is not spooling at idle, so you are likely hearing the exhaust pulse interference (courtesy of the unequal length headers). My motor always sounds like it's about to blow up

Something to check:
    Is your defrost on? If so, the "bump/shake" is usually because your A/C compressor just kicked on -- this happens with your defrost enabled.
    It does it when the radiator fan comes on as well I know what he means in a stock car it makes the whole car rock side to side just enough to notice.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

my 2010 gets the "chills" once in a while too (light shake.. seemingly random in nature) .. old vw's with flat 4's do it too... its due to the engine layout. As long as its not a violent ordeal its normal.

I get that bum bum bum sound too .. my exhaust also completely factory equipment. Very normal for reasons already mentioned lol

unequal length header = paired exhaust note/harley love child sound
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    my 2010 gets the "chills" once in a while too (light shake.. seemingly random in nature) .. old vw's with flat 4's do it too... its due to the engine layout. As long as its not a violent ordeal its normal.

I get that bum bum bum sound too .. my exhaust also completely factory equipment. Very normal for reasons already mentioned lol

unequal length header = paired exhaust note/harley love child sound
    ok awesome that's what i wanted to hear. The shake isn't that rough it's just rougher then other cars, such as a honda or something along them lines. Just glad to hear that bum bum bum noise is normal and the shake is normal, cause like I said the rpm's do not change so I figured it couldn't of been spark plugs or something actually wrong because it stays dead on like 600 rpm the whole time it does the shake.lol

yep, you're fine. Cant really compare the honda's and other counterbalanced inline 4's.. Honda's are notoriously smooth engines anyway. Its actually closer to 800rpm.. but factory tach's aren't fine enough to tell.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Talking

yep, you're fine. Cant really compare the honda's and other counterbalanced inline 4's.. Honda's are notoriously smooth engines anyway. Its actually closer to 800rpm.. but factory tach's aren't fine enough to tell.
    Yea I had quite a few of them and I am completely done with them go-karts lol. One more quick question and I know this is a little off topic but do I have to let my car ilde before shutting it off after driving it for the turbo's health? First turboed car and I just want the beat for it, lol. Thanks everyone.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zack_1989 View Post
    little off topic but do I have to let my car ilde before shutting it off after driving it for the turbo's health? First turboed car and I just want the beat for it, lol. Thanks everyone.
    No.

Let's leave it at that.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    No.

Let's leave it at that.
    HAHAHAHA!

Zack is correct, no.. lol.. you dont have to let it Idle down. Water cooled turbo's are nice that way.

You missed the multipage heated thread about this a little while back.. boy there were some huge misunderstandings goin round n round on that one lol.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Cool

HAHAHAHA!

Zack is correct, no.. lol.. you dont have to let it Idle down. Water cooled turbo's are nice that way.

You missed the multipage heated thread about this a little while back.. boy there were some huge misunderstandings goin round n round on that one lol.
    Haha thanks a lot guys.

I like it when my car shakes - it's a little sensual...
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.