Un-rev in gear?

This is a discussion on Un-rev in gear? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Start the car, let the revs drop (due to temperature increase) to about 1250-1500 (not tried higher/lower than this range), ...

Un-rev in gear?

Start the car, let the revs drop (due to temperature increase) to about 1250-1500 (not tried higher/lower than this range), with clutch down, pop it into 1st. The engine slows down by about 250rpm...

...why?
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Because the transmission stops spinning so the engine has less load on it, which allows it to run with ease at lower RPMs.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Because the transmission stops spinning so the engine has less load on it, which allows it to run with ease at lower RPMs.
    ???

It does not correspond with the pushing of the clutch (I've tried), it's directly right after I put it into gear. The reason it seems odd is because the engine is still just spinning the flywheel, right?

Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    ???

It does not correspond with the pushing of the clutch (I've tried), it's directly right after I put it into gear. The reason it seems odd is because the engine is still just spinning the flywheel, right?
    When you put it in gear, the clutch engages just a bit. Giving the engine just a little load, not enough to move the car but it is there. I saw this when you have the car up on jackstands, if you put it in gear, the wheels will start spinning slowly. That tells me that the clutch is still touching the flywheel a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by monchis View Post
    When you put it in gear, the clutch engages just a bit. Giving the engine just a little load, not enough to move the car but it is there. I saw this when you have the car up on jackstands, if you put it in gear, the wheels will start spinning slowly. That tells me that the clutch is still touching the flywheel a little bit.

This seems like a terrible idea - if you sat there all day with the clutch all the way down and the engine on and in gear, the clutch would burn up?

Why would they design this into the car? Does it mean that we have to adjust our clutches, or is it just supposed to do that?

No no, it's not nearly enough friction to heat up the clutch. It just touches the flywheel a little, by that I mean very little. It's just because they're so close to each other. Besides, who would sit all day with their car in gear and the clutch depressed?

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    ???

Sorry, I misread your first post. I thought you were saying before you put it in gear but after you pressed the clutch.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

so basically, they're designed to be separate, but it's pretty much tolerances that make them touch?

That is correct, that is why it goes down a few rpms when you put it in gear

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    You're not reading the gauge properly. The gauge starts at 500 rpm. Proper, warmed idle is going to be around 750-850 rpm

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    You're not reading the gauge properly. The gauge starts at 500 rpm. Proper, warmed idle is going to be around 750-850 rpm
    I know this. "I'm in a rush and it's cold out" idle is more like 1k at the least. Each tick is 250rpm. I've noticed pretty much every time, I can let it drop itself to 1250, then putting it in 1st drops it down to 1000 (same with 1500 down to 1250).

I'm sure she was talking about warmed up already. We're talking about cold idle.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Mine idles at 1500 right after starting, then drops to just over 1k, then when it's all warmed up idles right about 500.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    Mine idles at 1500 right after starting, then drops to just over 1k, then when it's all warmed up idles right about 500.
    nope, the first line is 500, the second it 750, where wrx's are supposed to idle. If it really were at 500, your car would be barely working.

Engines idle between 750 to 850 as stated before.