PLEASE HELP! horrible gas mileage
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on PLEASE HELP! horrible gas mileage within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I have a used 2003 wrx with 91000 miles. Since I bought it the gas mileage hasnt been great ...

PLEASE HELP! horrible gas mileage

So I have a used 2003 wrx with 91000 miles. Since I bought it the gas mileage hasnt been great (~19MPG). I changed engine oil, oil filter, transmission fluid, spark plugs, fuel filter, PCV valve and used seafoam along with lucas fuel injector cleaner. Nothing seems to help. I do from time to time get a P0420 code (cat converter). The car has a TBE with one stock cat on there where the O2 sensor goes. Also has a turboxs BOV. I am really confused and out of ideas. Only other thing I can think of is the wide-band O2 sensor. Although apart from the poor gas mileage the car runs great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Try cleaning the MAF sensor. The engine is not what 100% dictates gas milage. The biggest factors is the driver and tire pressure. Anytime your in boost your gas mileage is going to suffer. If your tire pressure is 2-3 psi low your gas mileage will suffer
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I will try cleaning the MAF today. Is there some kind of cleaner should use or should I just get some MAF cleaner from Autozone along with some q-tips?
    I do open it up from time to time. However for the most part i dont see boost very often. On one tank i got ~280 miles. For a quarter of the tank I was driving very spirited. The rest of the tank was mixed driving very light throttle with shifts around 2.5k-3.0k. Any way to tell if it is the O2 going bad. My tires look properly inflated, but to tell the truth I havnt checked them with a gauge since i got a flat about 500 miles ago. Thanks for the input

P.S. Where did you get those top and bottom eyelids? I cant find them anywhere

You can use: MAF cleaner, electrical contact cleaner, or NON-CHLORINATED brake cleaner.

Do not touch the wires in the MAF with anything, let the spray action do the work. Once you have your MAF removed; the wire you can see is the intake air temp sensor, the MAF wire itself is in the plastic tube.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.