***HELP NASTY DIFF NOISE-CRASH***
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on ***HELP NASTY DIFF NOISE-CRASH*** within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; stacked my version 4 STI up the curb the other night ripped the rear right wheel under the car, brought ...

***HELP NASTY DIFF NOISE-CRASH***

stacked my version 4 STI up the curb the other night ripped the rear right wheel under the car, brought new STI hub n lower control arm, but diff is making a clunk throttle on throttle off, i have a feeling im 3wd now too...could this just be the diff or could the problem go right through to the transfer case too

help from any one with any information

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First thing I would check are the diff mounts/bushings. If you hit that hard it may have broken the mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ807 View Post
    stacked my version 4 STI up the curb the other night ripped the rear right wheel under the car, brought new STI hub n lower control arm, but diff is making a clunk throttle on throttle off, i have a feeling im 3wd now too...could this just be the diff or could the problem go right through to the transfer case too

Is the axle bent? I am assuming you put in a new wheel bearing along with the new hub?...I am also assuming that this noise was not present before you wrecked? If you get the chance I would raise the vehicle in the air and run the car and grab a mechanics stethoscope or screwdriver and try and pinpoint where exactly the noise is coming from...Also as mentioned I would check the diff mounts and also the strut/spring

Quote Originally Posted by JJ807 View Post

I would also take a look at the strut, I can say from personal experience that the noise my rear strut was making" a clunking type noise" had me thinking something was wrong with my diff until I figured out it was the strut by finally getting it to make the noise while not moving.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.