power loss at high rpm
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on power loss at high rpm within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, I was driving hone from work tonight and I put the pedal to the floor after the car had ...

power loss at high rpm

So, I was driving hone from work tonight and I put the pedal to the floor after the car had a few minutes to warm up. All went well as usual but then it felt like the clutch was slipping. I shifted gears and then it happened again once the rpm's climbed back up.

I waited about 10 mins then I floored it again, this time watching the rpm's. At around 5k the engine just seems to stop making power for a fraction of a second then comes back, then loses it again and so on. I held the pedal down as I was trying to figure out what was going on and it wasnt able to really get up to 6k. Then the check engine light starts flashing. I immediately let off the gas completely. After about 10 - 15 seconds it went away.

When I was close to home, I floored it again and I got through first and second shifting at about 6.5k then in third I it started again and I held the pedal down for a 2 or 3 seconds then the CEL starts flashing again, then goes away. Temperature this whole time was just below the middle of the gauge (slightly on the cold side.)

I have no clue what this could be. And i'm %$@&ing angry as i have only had this car for 1.5 months.

Info about the car: 2002 WRX sedan. Has a magna flow muffler and unsure of the brand of down pipe. I was told it has a stage one reflash and should make an extra 2psi of boost. Also has injen cold air intake, and HKS blow off valve.

Until tonight actually I have never seen the boost guage go a hair past .1 MPa which is about 14.5 PSI but tonight I saw it cross it by the width of the needle. It may have gone to .11 or .12 MPa if i were to guess.

Sorry this is so long but I want to get the best help I can and not leave anything out... I have fallen in love with this car and don't want it to die.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Thanks for the quick reply. I read through a bit of both of those and got from it that my engine was knocking maybe. I thought about it and just before this started happening I bought gas at Esso instead of Shell like I usually do so I thought maybe Esso's gas isn't as good.

I picked up some octane booster from Canadian Tire and it seemed to instantly fix the problem. But then later today when I drove home It started again but now the CEL is just on, not blinking. I turned off the car and turned it back on but the light is still there.

What now? Buy one of those obd II code reader things?

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    either buy an obd reader, or if you have an accessport you can use that. Or you can go to an auto parts store and they will normally let you use one they have for free.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.