Splutter/hesitation/misfire.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Splutter/hesitation/misfire. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I dont know much about cars but im learning so bear with me Ive read through the sticky ( http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/genera...3-if-you-have- ...

Splutter/hesitation/misfire.

I dont know much about cars but im learning so bear with me

Ive read through the sticky (http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/genera...3-if-you-have- misfire-code-please-read.html). I know misfires are hard to diagnose over the net but before I either eat my mechanic or explode into an EMP shockwave I need to try 1 last thing and post here.

I was about to buy a 2001 bugeye WRX. STI block and turbo, prodrive downpipe, and software upgrade (I think) pushing roughly 250WHP. Car was running really well. Owner let a supposed "rally navigator" drive the car who blew the engine by redlining for 10 mins constantly in gymkhana. Owner then suggested we take it to a mechanic who would offer a 30,000km warranty on workmanship and he would still sell the car to me for the same price while he incurred all costs. Sounded good cause who gets a 30,000km warranty on a 9 year old car.

After a ridiculous wait the car was completed. Popped on dyno and had what I could best call hesitations. Tuner couldnt tune the car. We also noticed a bad "lifter" ticking sound. Mech was on holiday. I took the car and drove around while only boosted on .5. While the mech was away I took to another mech to see if he could find the problem as I was concerned the car may break. He picked up an error code which turned out to be the O2/lamba sensor. We replaced this. No mores errors and no obvious problems. He swapped NAF. We drove the car for 2 hours with his laptop plugged in trying different acceleration methods to get readouts on air/fuel (I think thats what he was looking at but I know he said it shouldnt go below 11 or 10 something.....). Worst "misfires/hesitations" when I drove flat out from start to end 3rd. Zero misfires happened when I slowly pushed the accelerator through the revs and only reaching 100% at 6kish through each gear. Apparently the reading also couldnt show if it was going below 10 whatever as there was something on my car stopping the reading at 11?

I drove the car 1 more day and engine died. Mech opened engine and it dropped a valve. Destroyed 2 and 4, valves and pistons. Damaged heads really badly.

Mech warranty kicks in and he rebuilds. Puts big port heads on + 2.5ltr gaskets. Drops engine in. Ive been running it for the last 1000kms with oil changes at every 250km. Tonight he did an oil change and applied a map to take the car for a run to see how its going. Guess what? Hesitations are still there. He drops to .5 boost and sends me off saying I need to book the car in so he can problem solve. He thinks coil packs. Ive heard the other mech says its not possible cause I would have "misfires" constantly whereas mine come in mainly under boost and only when my foot is flat. Other mech also said its not so much a misfire, its more a hesitation in his opinion. Someone also mentioned its possibly fuel regulator and that the car may be flooding.

Coil packs sound like a possibility? Im obviously going to get this twit to do a swap out but im really doubting he knows what hes doing.

Any info would be great as im just beyond frustrated. Ive "had" the car for 4 months and not once been able to put my foot down and just enjoy the power.
    Last edited by wancieho; 11-24-2010 at 02:26 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wancieho View Post
    I dont know much about cars but im learning so bear with me

Ive read through the sticky (http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/genera...3-if-you-have- misfire-code-please-read.html). I know misfires are hard to diagnose over the net but before I either eat my mechanic or explode into an EMP shockwave I need to try 1 last thing and post here.

I was about to buy a 2001 bugeye WRX. STI block and turbo, prodrive downpipe, and software upgrade (I think) pushing roughly 250WHP. Car was running really well. Owner let a supposed "rally navigator" drive the car who blew the engine by redlining for 10 mins constantly in gymkhana. Owner then suggested we take it to a mechanic who would offer a 30,000km warranty on workmanship and he would still sell the car to me for the same price while he incurred all costs. Sounded good cause who gets a 30,000km warranty on a 9 year old car.

After a ridiculous wait the car was completed. Popped on dyno and had what I could best call hesitations. Tuner couldnt tune the car. We also noticed a bad "lifter" ticking sound. Mech was on holiday. I took the car and drove around while only boosted on .5. While the mech was away I took to another mech to see if he could find the problem as I was concerned the car may break. He picked up an error code which turned out to be the O2/lamba sensor. We replaced this. No mores errors and no obvious problems. He swapped NAF. We drove the car for 2 hours with his laptop plugged in trying different acceleration methods to get readouts on air/fuel (I think thats what he was looking at but I know he said it shouldnt go below 11 or 10 something.....). Worst "misfires/hesitations" when I drove flat out from start to end 3rd. Zero misfires happened when I slowly pushed the accelerator through the revs and only reaching 100% at 6kish through each gear. Apparently the reading also couldnt show if it was going below 10 whatever as there was something on my car stopping the reading at 11?

I drove the car 1 more day and engine died. Mech opened engine and it dropped a valve. Destroyed 2 and 4, valves and pistons. Damaged heads really badly.

Mech warranty kicks in and he rebuilds. Puts big port heads on + 2.5ltr gaskets. Drops engine in. Ive been running it for the last 1000kms with oil changes at every 250km. Tonight he did an oil change and applied a map to take the car for a run to see how its going. Guess what? Hesitations are still there. He drops to .5 boost and sends me off saying I need to book the car in so he can problem solve. He thinks coil packs. Ive heard the other mech says its not possible cause I would have "misfires" constantly whereas mine come in mainly under boost and only when my foot is flat. Other mech also said its not so much a misfire, its more a hesitation in his opinion. Someone also mentioned its possibly fuel regulator and that the car may be flooding.

Coil packs sound like a possibility? Im obviously going to get this twit to do a swap out but im really doubting he knows what hes doing.

Any info would be great as im just beyond frustrated. Ive "had" the car for 4 months and not once been able to put my foot down and just enjoy the power.

So your mechanic rebuilt the new heads? I am thinking one of three things here...perhaps a tight valve, an ignition problem, or something gone array with the tune...Does the vehicle misfire at all with it running at idle? Is the check engine light currently on? I dont mean to bad mouth anyone but does this "mechanic" know what he is doing? I would kind of wonder what went arrary for a vehicle to drop 2 valves and damage a piston just like that...that kind of stuff usually doesnt happen to a rebuilt engine if it is installed properly...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.