How do YOU maintian your WRX?

This is a discussion on How do YOU maintian your WRX? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Other than oil type (which apparently is mandated by Subaru for me to keep my warranty) and appearance (wax, etc.), ...

How do YOU maintian your WRX?

Other than oil type (which apparently is mandated by Subaru for me to keep my warranty) and appearance (wax, etc.), what do you do to maintain your WRX? Are there things that you do to maintain longevity other than the recommended maintenance checks? Hook a new owner up with your tips and tricks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If you follow the owner's manual maintenance procedures/ schedule and drive it gentle, it will last a looooong long time.

I typically follow the maintenance schedule, but decided to replace the oil pick up tube as added insurance against a cheap part causing an expensive problem.

I'll also be changing my timing belt, water pump, and pulleys well ahead of the recommended mileage.

Aside from that I check all fluids religiously/frequently.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by PacoBJuarez View Post
    Other than oil type (which apparently is mandated by Subaru for me to keep my warranty) and appearance (wax, etc.), what do you do to maintain your WRX?
    Exactly what the manufacturer states in the owner's manual and/or any TSBs released.

Are there things that you do to maintain longevity other than the recommended maintenance checks?
    No.

Hook a new owner up with your tips and tricks.
    Use authentic or OEM parts.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by PacoBJuarez View Post
    Hook a new owner up with your tips and tricks.
    Don't mod your car.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post
    I typically follow the maintenance schedule, but decided to replace the oil pick up tube as added insurance against a cheap part causing an expensive problem.

I'll also be changing my timing belt, water pump, and pulleys well ahead of the recommended mileage.

Aside from that I check all fluids religiously/frequently.
    I will say I have heard of a few guys doing this, I have had a couple come in with no oil pressure, and personally I have never in the thousands of subarus I have wrenched on have seen an oil pump fail..leak yes...but not fail...anyways the pickup tubes I have replaced they all seem to crack right at the weld where it bolts to the block, my best guess is the support for the pickup when tightened distorts the weld a tad and wears over time...this is just my thinking...

I typically ignore the e-hype about everything that can go wrong with our cars. I couldn't ignore the p/u tube however, good marketing by Killer B I guess... Turns out my stocker was fine, although I know a couple of people locally who have had failures.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

i agree with not modding your car, but its pretty difficult to resist. i guess safe modding is probably the best way to do things. if you plan to mod, make sure you have the money to replace or rebuild your motor when if blows up on you and subaru denies your warrantly claim.

in speaking with the mechanic at the body shop i work at, one thing he pointed out that is extremely important, especially for forced induction vehicles, is to allow the vehicle to warm up sufficiently before going into full boost. i always let my car warm up for a min or so, and i keep it under 3k RPM until the coolant temp gauge has reached normal operating temperature for at least 5 mins. keep in mind, coolant is going to warm up much faster than oil, so even thought the coolant temp gauge may read normal operating temp, your oil may still not be warmed up completely.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now