I own a classic GC8 Impreza WRX and since around 1 month I have noticed the following:
- radiator fan is always on when the engine is at normal operating temperature
- the radiator it self is hot on the left side but ice cold on the right side
- the car does NOT overheat!!! (which is very strange)
- the coolant level does NOT drop at all
- the engine power and turbo boost are fine and unchanged
- there is no trace of oil in the coolant (or coolant in the oil)
- and very recently I started to hear a funny running water noise when i go around corners!
I have been to several workshops to try and fix this but no luck so far, what I have done so far is:
- replaced the thermostat twice (original parts from the Subaru dealer)
- completely drained the coolant from the radiator and the engine, this was done twice
- bleeded the cooling system 3 or 4 times
The really weird thing is that is that after each time I replace the thermostat or drain the coolant the car works perfectly (water circulates normally in the radiator) for 1 or 2 days then it goes crazy again (same symptoms described above)
My mechanic insists that it is a problem with engine head saying that it is leaking water out and he wants to take the engine apart to inspect it!!!
I really appreciate your help guys, I really don't want to take my engine apart when I'm sure there is nothing wrong with it