Regarding my accident...

This is a discussion on Regarding my accident... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So if any of you have seen my I got lucky thread, I got not so lucky, and hit a ...

Regarding my accident...

So if any of you have seen my I got lucky thread, I got not so lucky, and hit a guardrail. Here's a picture I actually took when it was sunny:

As you can see, minor damage all things considered - I can't see any frame damage, definitely no engine damage, just a crushed bumper and fender. The head and fog lights are cracked, but every light is still operational (the headlight crack is minor compared to the ugliness it has earlier, the fog lights will become hella 500's wayyy down the line anyway ).

I have a few questions:

#1: how the hell did this happen? I was trying to analyze how the torque shift would have been for this to have happened, and it seems like it had to totally disregard the rules of how the diffs are built. What happened, to start (before my corrections and whatnot): I was at a stop, turning left, I give it a little too much gas (prolly 3k "launch" - not hard clutch dump, slow slip out). I go a little bit, but oh wait, the rear steps out, a LOT. The other major factor was that is was just raining - all the roads were at their worst - slick, but no standing water yet. How is that possible? I had 70 lbs of bowling balls directly over the back wheels, but I could still see the tires moving into kinetic friction (the tires aren't the newest - I will replace these. They have good tread, I thought, but still...). The thing that gets me is the fact that the rear slipped out at all - shouldn't the torque have moved to the front immediately in response to decreased rear traction? Even if it had gone back for that small time, wouldn't the front wheels prevail for understeer after that (or did that just happen at the same time as oversteer)?

After somebody explains the physics to me, I think I'll be much more satisfied, since it was my fault, knowing more about my car to do better next time. But there's a few questions about the car still...

Q2: I got my clutch today - on the instruction sheet, there's a big thing about how you could get symptoms of clutch slip at hard acceleration from a bad rear axle shaft retaining clip. I haven't lifted my car to see, but if I had this, could this have helped mess up where the torque went (because it says it does something with changing how the gears line up in the rear diff)?

Q3: Fixing the problem. I need a new bumper, no questions asked. I'm wondering if it looks like I'll be able to get away with having a body shop straighten the fender instead of replace... I will just take it there, but I want to be prepared, and try to get cheaper prices on anything I can (oh you're going bodykit? Sell me your WRB bumper!)

At this point, and tips, advice, physical explanations of the situation, etc. would be helpful and greatly appreciated, thanks!
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you have a heavy swaybar in the rear then I can easily see how this could happen. So my question do you have an aftermarket swaybar?
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    If you have a heavy swaybar in the rear then I can easily see how this could happen. So my question do you have an aftermarket swaybar?
    I do believe I have the stock 17mm sway in the back - while I haven't measured it, playing around in turns revealed that, no matter how much I try (hard turn, throttle lift-off, etc.), I can only barely make up for my understeer - I get no step out there. I'm nearly positive none of the previous owners switched anything out on the car - everything I've seen is totally stock (the rear sway is black and rusty, just btw).

Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

If the rear swaybar is stock then you must have been revving the engine pretty hard and wipped the rear end a little to hard. Maybe you hit a little bit of soft gravel and this caused the tail to step out.

Sorry about your accident.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

That's a bummer to hear. If it just rained, on roads that get regular traffic sometimes there is a small layer of oil etc that gets lifted from the water and that can make the roads a little slick. Happened to me once, mildly rearended someone because I slid into them. I say mildly because his vehicle had no damage.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it was simply greasy road, worn tires and too much throttle.

Not slamming ya, but when its wet .. ease up on the go pedal a lil bit, especially on aging tires.

consider this lesson learned, while the car's systems might be smarter than the driver it lacks common sense that driver should have.

Are you sure the rear stepped out or did the whole car pivot? .. I'm willing to bet that 3 if not all 4 of the tires spun and thats what turned you sideways.

On the surface the damage doesn't look bad, but you wont know for sure until you start taking it apart.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it was simply greasy road, worn tires and too much throttle.

Not slamming ya, but when its wet .. ease up on the go pedal a lil bit, especially on aging tires.

consider this lesson learned, while the car's systems might be smarter than the driver it lacks common sense that driver should have.
    Absolutely lesson learned - it means going back to the drawing board on how to drive manual, because - I PROMISE - that was the only mistake I made. It was the worst time out, and I *thought* I was being careful enough.
    Are you sure the rear stepped out or did the whole car pivot? .. I'm willing to bet that 3 if not all 4 of the tires spun and thats what turned you sideways.
    This makes sense, I guess... all I know is that the back did swing out - whether I lost one front one as well is a matter I can only imagine the answer to. I guess, given the open front diff, that that makes sense, right?
    On the surface the damage doesn't look bad, but you wont know for sure until you start taking it apart.
    I have a few uncle mechanics. I talked to one of them last night, and he said he can source me all the parts (fender, bumper, and even the lights) for about $200-300. Underneath, there's only the intake (which has been messed up by the previous owner anyway) and the frame, which looks good - the part I can see at least. I'll know for sure soon.

Meanwhile, I'm worried about the bumper hitting the tire - My uncle suggested the baseball bat method for rolling the fender out (because I thought the fender was the one that was close), but the bumper just snapped back into place because it's not metal. I'm thinking of taking it off before I drive the car anywhere, just to avoid issues. This is legal and safe, right (as long as I keep the front plate somewhere)?

And, one final bit - can anyone from monmouth/ocean/mercer counties suggest me an alignment shop?

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    If the rear swaybar is stock then you must have been revving the engine pretty hard and wipped the rear end a little to hard. Maybe you hit a little bit of soft gravel and this caused the tail to step out.

Sorry about your accident.
    Looking at that intersection (apparently a very happening place to have a crash), there's no gravel or anything, but it most definitely was the worst time for the rain - damp roads but not soaked. Still, I was only revving pretty hard if you consider 3k pretty hard. As I said, I just have to learn how to take off without revving that hard and I'll be fine. Otherwise, the turn was a normal angle, normal everything else - it really was a complete surprise to me that it even could happen. One more lesson under the belt.