What the f* is that sound?

This is a discussion on What the f* is that sound? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My 04 WRX (only mod is an SPT intake) started sounding like i have an aftermarket exhaust while driving today. ...

What the f* is that sound?

My 04 WRX (only mod is an SPT intake) started sounding like i have an aftermarket exhaust while driving today. It was fine this morning and tonight around 4 when I went to pick up a friend to head down to the Flyers game, all of a sudden the car sounds like I have no muffler. Its louder than most modified WRXs Ive heard on the road. Friends are thinking exhaust leak. Im getting under it tmr to take a better look in the day light to see if I can see any noticeable issues.... Any ideas?
    2004 PSM WRX Kartboy Short Shifter, SPT Cold Air Intake, TurboXS Turboback Exhaust, Cobb AccessPort Stage II
    Blobeye Syndicate #123
    Dirty Crew #123

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The only reason I could think your car would start sounding like that, exhaust leak. Either you got a hole in it, or it got disconnected at one of the joints. You should've felt a power loss too.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    More than likely an exhaust leak as you suspect. Metal tends get a little "holey" after a while, especially in snow plagued areas where salt is used.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

def a leak, and you wont notice any change in power if the leak is post turbo..

if it was before the turbo you'd notice laggy response and a possible drop in power.

likely, you're exhaust has gone religious on ya Winter+exhaust steel= short lifespan.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!