2006 WRX Limited Brakes vs STI

This is a discussion on 2006 WRX Limited Brakes vs STI within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Took my '06 WRX in for a brake job, and the shop is telling me that the pads need to ...

2006 WRX Limited Brakes vs STI

Took my '06 WRX in for a brake job, and the shop is telling me that the pads need to be STI pads.

What's going on here? I didn't upgrade, just got factory-spec stock equipment.....

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The sti's have brembo brakes on them... if yours are stock then your caliper should be red and say subaru on it... the shop sounds like it has a bunch of monkeys with down syndrome working for them... its very easy to tell the difference... the sti's are a goldish color and the sti limited's brembos are black with white lettering...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, they're not correct on that one. Pads are a finicky thing for Subaru's but no STi's do not have the same brake pads as WRX's.

Part numbers for Subaru pads for your car are as follows:
    Front: 26296FE070
    Rear: 26696FE070

Sti's are different part numbers as are 02-mid 03 WRX's, mid 03-05 WRX's, and 08+ WRX's.
    Last edited by xxxxxxxAnub1s; 11-18-2010 at 08:50 PM.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Hmm... I thought cause brembo is a specialty bran you had to use their products... guess I was wrong...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    Hmm... I thought cause brembo is a specialty bran you had to use their products... guess I was wrong...
    Nah, Brembo isn't as special as many make them out to be. I think most stock Subaru rotors are manufactured by them, actually.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Nah, Brembo isn't as special as many make them out to be. I think most stock Subaru rotors are manufactured by them, actually.
    Ohh good to know... is a brake job with a brembo more expensive then
    It would be on a normal car?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

I Support ClubWRX
    The pads are more expensive, yes, as well as every other bit of hardware, simply because they're just plain bigger than everything else.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Brembo is "normal." They are a very large firm, have been in business for half a century, and are the OEM supplier for several dozen vehicle manufacturers. Brembo is a very common brand.

The STi brakes are a specific fitment made by Brembo, and as such they are relatively costly. Your car cannot use that fitment but it can use the correct parts for your specific fitment. Those parts, for your fitment, can be made by Brembo or any number of other companies.

This is a complicated way of simplifying things... Have your mechanic get the correct parts for your car. It will be inherently obvious if they don't, as the parts won't fit. Supplier or maker doesn't matter as much as fitment.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

They're claiming that the pads they ordered based on WRX PN info are not even close to fitting, and that the pads they've found that do fit are STI pads.

The calipers are red.

They claim they sometimes see factory variance when they run out of parts, and they sub them in. But they would've had to paint the things special, so that doesn't sound right....

Seems odd, but I'll find out soon, as I'm going to pick it up.

Well, they've got the brakes back together and they appear to be working fine. Hard stopping power appears to occur with a little deeper pedal push, but performance appears good.

The PN for the pads they used is 8298-D118244WD, but I haven't been able to track that PN down yet. Anybody got a quick check they can do?

Also, here are a couple pics of the calipers -- they look like stock WRX, don't they?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0428.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	90799

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0429.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	90800

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spiraljazz View Post
    They're claiming that the pads they ordered based on WRX PN info are not even close to fitting, and that the pads they've found that do fit are STI pads.

The calipers are red.

They claim they sometimes see factory variance when they run out of parts, and they sub them in. But they would've had to paint the things special, so that doesn't sound right....

Seems odd, but I'll find out soon, as I'm going to pick it up.
    I think that shop is retarded, that or they have a part system that has really bad info. They probably ordered the STi pads first and then ordered the correct ones but told you that to cover their **** up. Those are stock Subaru calipers, which would use regular pads made for that model. STi pads will not work in those calipers.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    I think that shop is retarded, that or they have a part system that has really bad info. They probably ordered the STi pads first and then ordered the correct ones but told you that to cover their **** up. Those are stock Subaru calipers, which would use regular pads made for that model. STi pads will not work in those calipers.
    My first time ordering brakes for my 07 WRX - I had these same issues. I was in Rhode Island (live in Vermont) and found a good deal on them. I bring them home, and take the wheel off (my first time actually looking at the assembly) - only to realize what I got wasn't close.

I went to 4 more stores, forcing them to show pictures of what they were going to order (all ended up being wrong), so I had to give up and go to the dealer for the pads. I think they were $160 for the fronts... with a coupon!

The brakes that each shop was showing me were for traditional calipers - ie, not the "slide in" type the ones in the picture above are (which is good - because its real easy to tell when they are wrong!!!).

I tried again just a few months ago with the same result.. I ended up buying my new STI so I didn't have to carry through with odering new pads.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett