2011 wrx crazy turn signal - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 wrx crazy turn signal within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone have tips on how to reach the wiring of the passenger side turn signals? I also have this problem ...

Anyone have tips on how to reach the wiring of the passenger side turn signals? I also have this problem and would like to fix it myself if it's not too troublesome. I would like to believe the bulbs are fine since my '11 WRX has ~550 miles and the wiring is too tight or something.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

All you need to do is "maybe" remove the air scoop, and then there is a large plastic circular hub behind the headlight. That twists and then come off real easy.

From there you can just reach to get to the lightbulb and wiring. Piece of cake.

I work in Irvine (Alton/Jeronimo) and can help with this if you need it. For me I just replaced the bulb and have been fine since (a few months). $6 for 2 bulbs at Pep Boys and 3 minutes of your time and you'll be g2g.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
    All you need to do is "maybe" remove the air scoop, and then there is a large plastic circular hub behind the headlight. That twists and then come off real easy.

From there you can just reach to get to the lightbulb and wiring. Piece of cake.

I work in Irvine (Alton/Jeronimo) and can help with this if you need it. For me I just replaced the bulb and have been fine since (a few months). $6 for 2 bulbs at Pep Boys and 3 minutes of your time and you'll be g2g.
    Hi Anxiouz,

Thanks so much for the tips. I had removed the air scoop last night and tried to get to the wiring but the air filter box was in the way. I was considering removing that too but didn't have the proper wrench's to do that. I will definitely try twisting off the plastic circular hub you mentioned and see if poking at the wiring helps the crazy signal bulb. If that doesn't do it, I'll pick up some bulbs (part 1157A like you mentioned earlier?) and try again. And if THAT doesn't fix it, I'll pm you for your contact info hahaha. Wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by katzuu View Post
    Hi Anxiouz,

Thanks so much for the tips. I had removed the air scoop last night and tried to get to the wiring but the air filter box was in the way. I was considering removing that too but didn't have the proper wrench's to do that. I will definitely try twisting off the plastic circular hub you mentioned and see if poking at the wiring helps the crazy signal bulb. If that doesn't do it, I'll pick up some bulbs (part 1157A like you mentioned earlier?) and try again. And if THAT doesn't fix it, I'll pm you for your contact info hahaha. Wish me luck!
    I just fixed the issue on my 2011 wrx hatch. Tried to figure out how to get to the bulb. Here is the easiest way I accessed it without removing bolts. This is for the passenger side

No need to remove the air scoop

1. Use a flathead screwdriver and loosen the silver clamp on the intake connecting to the airbox. Remove the rubber intake tubing from the airbox (might be stuck on so work it off slowly to unstick it)
    2. Unclip the 2 metal clips on top of the intake.
    3. Unplug the MAF plug. The wiring for the harness is clipped onto the airbox at 2 places. There should be some white tape where they are clipped.
    4. Unclip vacuum hose from the airbox.
    5. You should now be able to pull out half of the airbox.

This will give you access to the pathway to the bulb. It is a tight squeeze so smaller hands may help. Hope this helps.

My initial advice was based off of what I did on the driver side.

I was going to help out another member with his car this past weekend but when I looked at my own car, I don't see how in the hell to get to the passenger turn signal bulb. It's literally between the car frame and the outer shell of the car.

I have a CAI so there is absolutely nothing blocking the passenger side headlight. You can get to the hi/low/DRL bulbs no problem. But the turn signal isn't something you can get to to twist it loose. It's seperate from that black plastic circular thing.

I noticed on my driverside (the one I replaced) the turn signal sticks out farther and is easier to get to. On the passenger side it's not nearly as visible and, like I mentioned, it's between the car frame. So even if you can unplug it...you're still working behind the frame.

My best guess/suggestion now would be to remove the headlight housing completely. That way you could get to the bulb from underneath it.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

I just started having this problem on my passenger side signal. I'll have them do their little "fix" when I go in to get my media hub installed tomorrow.
    2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav, Performance Auto Solutions Tuned by Dave - 349awhp 366 ft/lbs @ 19psi E85
    Enkei PF01s, AEM Intake, PW TMIC, TS Kompact BPV, Invidia Q300 Catless Turboback, GS EBCS
    GS Uppipe, Tial MV-S 38mm EWG, FIC 1100cc Injectors, DW DW65c FP, PTP Turbo Blanket, Zeitronix ECA Gauge
    AEM Wideband & Boost Gauges, SMY Cluster, SPT Short Throw Shifter/Bushing, Anarchy Motive Shift Knob, 30% Tint

They ended up just changing the bulb out. They did mention that it may or may not be the harness when I asked them about the "harness fix".
    2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav, Performance Auto Solutions Tuned by Dave - 349awhp 366 ft/lbs @ 19psi E85
    Enkei PF01s, AEM Intake, PW TMIC, TS Kompact BPV, Invidia Q300 Catless Turboback, GS EBCS
    GS Uppipe, Tial MV-S 38mm EWG, FIC 1100cc Injectors, DW DW65c FP, PTP Turbo Blanket, Zeitronix ECA Gauge
    AEM Wideband & Boost Gauges, SMY Cluster, SPT Short Throw Shifter/Bushing, Anarchy Motive Shift Knob, 30% Tint

Registered User 2011REXRoyalBlu's Avatar
    Mine finally started being normal again after about 5 months

I think its just the bulb I had the same problem on my 08 STI and my 2011 STI and all I did to fix it was change the bulb out.

yeah, weird how they fail immediately from the factory. since they changed it out its been fine

This might help out. Just started experiencing this problem a couple days ago on my 2 week old rex. Mine seems to go off and on. My brother found this Technical Service Bulletin before I could... Service Bulletin 152073 for Subaru EXTERIOR LIGHTING | AutoMD
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium Dark Gray Metallic

Sign me up! Right when i hit 1k miles my passenger blinker started tweaking - brought her in for an oil swap anyway and they fixed it. Now - at 2k and my driver side just started doing it - ARG

UPDATE: Both of my blinkers were doing it - figured since she's under warranty I'd let the dealer deal with it. Got it back with a reciept saying the tension in the wire to the harness was too tight(known problem), they didn't replace the bulb. Works like a champ now

Drive an Impreza Outback Sport. My driver side blinker is going crazy. Bought the car at the end of May. Super frustrating that I need to bring this brand new car in yet again.

I have a 2011 Subaru WRX Sedan, purchased in February 2011, with only 2 miles on the odometer. After a few months, the left turn signal begin blinking rapidly. I used the hazard lights trick to determine it was the front left (drivers side) bulb that was dim. I purchased a new bulb from AutoZone, removed the battery, and replaced the bulb. Problem went away for a few months, and now its back (not good if you need to pass a state safety inspection...). After reading this thread, I found the TSB:

2010 Subaru Impreza Exterior Lighting Service Bulletin 153973
    NHTSA: Action Number: 10038287 Service Bulletin Number: 153973

Report Date: Jan 01, 2011
    Component: Exterior Lighting
    Summary: Subaru: turn signals may blink too fast due to tension in the bulb socket wiring. 2008-2011 impreza.

I am going to investigate the wiring harness a little further. It is difficult to reach, and I hate unplugging the battery because it resets the ECU. I still have the second bulb from the two-pack, so I'll probably go ahead and swap the bulb at the same time I try and get some slack on the wiring harness.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast