2011 wrx crazy turn signal - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 wrx crazy turn signal within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, I'm pretty sure it's a bad bulb situation. Here's a trick to figure out which bulb is the problem: ...

Ok, I'm pretty sure it's a bad bulb situation.

Here's a trick to figure out which bulb is the problem: turn on your hazards and then walk around the car.

For me the front-left amber bulb was much dimmer than all of the rest. It still works but it's not as bright. So the dealer replacing a bulb for someone a few posts up makes sense. I can't believe a bulb is done already...after only a month or so of use.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just wanted to update this...it's the bulbs for sure. I replaced my bad one yesterday and the blinker is normal again. From what I can tell from the "bad" bulb...it actually looks ok but there are 2 filaments so I suspect 1 of them blew but it is tough to tell. How this could go bad 2 months out of the factory is beyond me.

But swapping in a new bulb fixed this. $4.99 for 2 bulbs (1157A) at Pep Boys and 5 minutes later I was good-to-go. That was worth not having to make a trip to the dealer IMO.

Crazy turn signal

I'm certain by now you have most likely resolved your rapid flashing turn signal. I appreciate you addressed this issue as I just purchased a 2011 WRX and after only 400 miles experienced the exact same symptoms. Having just divested a 2008 Carrera S I was wondering if I had made a mistake purchasing this wonderful little rocket with all wheel drive (moved from Las Vegas to Olympia, WA). I noticed when I put the emergency flashers on that the bad turn signal was much dimmer than the good one. I took the vehicle to the dealer today and they noticed that one of the dual filaments was bad, replaced the bulb (after taking apart engine compartment guard) and the problem was solved. I think Subaru got themselves a bad batch of bulbs and those of us lucky enough to get one were tortured with this symptom. Otherwise I'm loving this little beast...

Good to hear. I think they just put in crap bulbs. The front-right is the only pain to replace since you have to remove the battery to get to it. But that's not a big deal really and I'd rather deal with replacing a bulb than something more serious.

And I think you picked a good car for the Northwest. I had a 350Z in Portland and it was most fine most of the time but if we had snow it was useless.

Yeah sounds like a burned out bulb as long as it isn't intermittent... take it into the dealer since its under warranty...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
    Good to hear. I think they just put in crap bulbs. The front-right is the only pain to replace since you have to remove the battery to get to it. But that's not a big deal really and I'd rather deal with replacing a bulb than something more serious.

And I think you picked a good car for the Northwest. I had a 350Z in Portland and it was most fine most of the time but if we had snow it was useless.
    I'm now in the official rapid blinking bad cheap blown blinker bulb club. Mine is on the right, so I guess it's to the dealer, I don't want to mess with the battery. Oh yeah I have had the car for 4 weeks, 980 miles. My old 93 Nissan pick-up with over 250,000 miles on her I don't think I ever had to change a bulb. Arrrrrrrrgggggggggg

For me it was more "cost effective" (if you include the value of my time waiting at the dealer) to just buy the bulbs for $5 and do it myself. You learn a lil more about the car (I suspect this issue will re-occur at some point) and save yourself an hour or more.

Update, I get in the car after work to make my drive home and the right turn signal is back to normal. Ok well I guess i'll not mess with it until it starts the fast blinking again. Hope it's just a bulb and not the wiring.

I Support ClubWRX
    Add me to the club. Been there, done that. Repair guy at the dealer said that he's seen quite a few of 2011s for this - bad ("weak") filaments in the factory bulbs.

Subaru has a Tech Tip for this in their January issue.

Before replacing a head-lamp assembly for a Customer concern of a turn
    signal that blinks too fast, check the wiring as it enters the turn signal bulb
    socket. There may be too much tension on the wires that could be causing a
    poor connection. Slightly re-routing the wire harness to alleviate the tension should remedy the condition.
    Last edited by SubeTek; 01-17-2011 at 07:55 PM.

Took me half a year but I am having this blinker issue on my driver's side turn signal. If I can wait til next week I will have the dealer take care of it. But my OCD probably won't allow this to go on much longer. Sux that a new car has these minor probs but it was worst when I had an EVO 8. I had rattling, clutch and brake issues all within the first year in that problematic Mitsubishi.

Ran across this thread via some Googling. Not a WRX, but my 2011 2.5i has the exact same issue, Passenger side, 4 weeks, ~1,500 miles. As much as I hate to give a car to a service department for what might be a bulb, they're close to my office and I'm not too keen on ripping apart a new car that early (stereo stuff aside).

Yep, mine just started doing this today... walked around the car, lights were all blinking. Turned off the car and restarted it, and the problem vanished and hasn't come back yet. Will take to dealer ASAP because i don't want think about it anymore
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

mine does the same thing..will have the dealer check it out when I get my first oil change....

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by greenc51 View Post
    you have a new car...just let the dealer figure it out
    bump
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast