'09 WRX Squeek noise
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on '09 WRX Squeek noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Developed an odd sound. Im getting a squeaking like sound while accelerating. Happens every time while taking off in 1st, ...

'09 WRX Squeek noise

Developed an odd sound. Im getting a squeaking like sound while accelerating. Happens every time while taking off in 1st, and gets less and less as I row through the gears, by 4ht its gone. Also tends to do it a tiny bit when decelerating while in gear, same circumstance; less noticeable in higher gears. Almost sounds like the seat is squeaking as weight shifts back and forth (obviously debunked that theory) It sounds like its coming from the interior, but cant really tell. Anyone else have an issue like this?
    2011 Honda CR-Z EX
    Milano Red / Navigation / 6MT

2009 WRX hatch premium SEM #52 Traded 7/28/11
    Kartboy STS & bushings // RedlineGoods Shifter & E-brake boots // Muffler delete pipe // Window tint //

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Guess Im the only one =( oh well.
    2011 Honda CR-Z EX

Kartboy STS & bushings // RedlineGoods Shifter & E-brake boots // Muffler delete pipe // Window tint //

i have a 2010 rex, and i wouldnt say mine squeaks, its more like a whistle. its has been there every since i bought it, and its the turbine in the turbo that is making the sound. it gets louder the higher boost goes.

im not sure if that is what you are hearing.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Na, not it. My drivetrain whines like mad, but its done that since new. Na, this is a recent issue. Just gonna deal with it, turn the radio up and give the car back in 3 years when the lease is up.
    2011 Honda CR-Z EX

Got it figured out. Dont think its fixable. Took the center console apart and rolled back and forth a few times in gear. Noticed my shifter would flex downward causing the noise. Think it has to do with the harder shifter bushing. The old rubber ones would give under the stress, since these do not, they flex the entire assembly causing a squeek of sorts. Kinda odd that it took a while for it to develop though.
    2011 Honda CR-Z EX

i may have the same noise.....

I have 2010 wrx with a ss and spt replacement shifter bushings. Since it has started to get cold here a sqeaking has started that matches your description exactly.
    My sqeaking seems temperature dependent and much more noticeable in the morning when cold. It disapears when the temperature warms up or the car has been driven and has gotten hot.

Could be temperature dependent. I added some sound deadening foam under shift boot, it helped a lot.
    2011 Honda CR-Z EX

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Developed an odd sound. Im getting a squeaking like sound while accelerating. Happens every time while taking off in 1st, and gets less and less as I row through the gears, by 4ht its gone. Also tends to do it a tiny bit when decelerating while in gear, same circumstance; less noticeable in higher gears. Almost sounds like the seat is squeaking as weight shifts back and forth (obviously debunked that theory) It sounds like its coming from the interior, but cant really tell. Anyone else have an issue like this?
    The only squeaks I have witnessed in the new WRX's is the release bearing...
    With the vehicle running at idle when you just start to depress the clutch right at the point you start loading the release bearing up you hear a tiny squeak, I did have to do some of these under warranty and the only fix is obviously replacing the throw out bearing...Ill keep my eyes out for an issue like this...

I have an annoying whistling sound when depressing or releasing the clutch. However it only happens when the car is cold and the outside temp is cold. I am taking it to the dealer next Monday. I think it might be the throwout bearing...which sucks since the car is only 4 months old with 6k miles on it. I don't drive like a maniac either and always let the car warm up. When warm its fine. I will report back next week.

I have the same squeak noise on my car. 2011 WRX with 19.5k miles. It started doing it when the weather started to become cool. Wow it's annoying. Coming from a 2001 BMW that had no noises whatsoever, I'm pretty pissed.

My 2011 WRX has done this in cold weather since I bought it. It has the dealer installed short shifter and SPT bushings. I've brought it in twice. First time they lubed the bushings and it got slightly better. Second time, they replaced a bushing and now I think it is worse.

Waterproof Grease was the answer....

Waterproof Grease was the answer to my squeaking. The dealer greased it but it didn't last.
    I regreased it with a water proof, tacky as hell, wheel bearing grease last winter. It was a pain taking the heat sheild off but not a sound since.

Quote Originally Posted by msennati View Post
    Waterproof Grease was the answer to my squeaking. The dealer greased it but it didn't last.
    I regreased it with a water proof, tacky as hell, wheel bearing grease last winter. It was a pain taking the heat sheild off but not a sound since.
    Where did you apply the grease??

on the squeaky bushing......

on the squeaky bushing????
    1. Put car up on Ramps or Jack stands (a lift would be nice).
    2. Go under car and find Transmission. The bushing is somewhere on top. Remove the exhaust heat shield unless you like cut up hands and arms.
    3. Two bolts hold the bushing. I took off the bolts but I didn't remove the bushing. I just removed the bolts so the bushing was loose.
    4. Apply Grease.
    5. Put it back together.

None of this is hard but if you are not mechanically inclined and can not do things by feel, get someone else to do it.
    Last edited by msennati; 11-10-2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Spelling

Thanks. I wonder if it is accessible from the top?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.