Engine Oil leak
Results 1 to 8 of 8

This is a discussion on Engine Oil leak within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My impreza outback is leaking engine oil when parked, I belive that in the last oil change the guys at ...

  1. #1
    Registered User lokillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8

    Engine Oil leak

    My impreza outback is leaking engine oil when parked, I belive that in the last oil change the guys at the lube put some extra oil since it has lost a lot with the leak and still had level. Now I am begining to worry since the level is begining to drop and the leak persist. I know that the oil pan & seal are ok andd no leak from there. But I can't see were does the oil comes from since the oil drops on the front crossmember and I can't see further up thru it. Any Hint where can it be coming thru??

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User oguitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
    Posts
    1,014
    Good pics would help. Post some so I can see what you are talking about.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

  4. #3
    Registered User teflon_jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    8000' up in Colorado
    Posts
    6,752
    Yeah it could be coming from any number of places. You'll either have to take it to a shop or get in there with a flashlight and start hunting around...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

  5. #4
    Registered User lokillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8
    that is the big issue. The people at the lube told me of the leak but they didn,t know from ehre it came. Since it appears to drop in the crossmember thats located between the engine and the tranny. Its like a "black hole" you can't identify nothing up there since the crossmember won't let you see or touch any upper area. I would have to take off the cross member. But does anyone knows what could cause the leak throught that upper space of the crossmember betwen engine and tranny???
    Thanks

  6. #5
    Registered User jd92677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,136
    Quote Originally Posted by lokillo View Post
    that is the big issue. The people at the lube told me of the leak but they didn,t know from ehre it came. Since it appears to drop in the crossmember thats located between the engine and the tranny. Its like a "black hole" you can't identify nothing up there since the crossmember won't let you see or touch any upper area. I would have to take off the cross member. But does anyone knows what could cause the leak throught that upper space of the crossmember betwen engine and tranny???
    Thanks
    Rear main seal or oil pan gasket? I believe that is the only place up there that would leak oil. I would have guessed valve cover gaskets (common on horizontal engines) but not in that area.

  7. #6
    Registered User lokillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    Rear main seal or oil pan gasket? I believe that is the only place up there that would leak oil. I would have guessed valve cover gaskets (common on horizontal engines) but not in that area.
    I belive that its a bad rear main seal . Since the oil pan appears to be pretty clean. The oil mess is right on the crossmember. So just to know if it is the rear main seal . Should it be leaking oil while the car is parked without any use and proper engine oil level. I havn't use the car on a week (since I have a Trooper) and I tried to clean out last time I parked it on the garage. And it is still dripping , I thought on the oil pan seal, but it looks clean specially the oil pan. Soo it is normal that without use the engine oil level goes up to that rear main seal.??

  8. #7
    Registered User jd92677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,136
    Quote Originally Posted by lokillo View Post
    I belive that its a bad rear main seal . Since the oil pan appears to be pretty clean. The oil mess is right on the crossmember. So just to know if it is the rear main seal . Should it be leaking oil while the car is parked without any use and proper engine oil level. I havn't use the car on a week (since I have a Trooper) and I tried to clean out last time I parked it on the garage. And it is still dripping , I thought on the oil pan seal, but it looks clean specially the oil pan. Soo it is normal that without use the engine oil level goes up to that rear main seal.??
    Maybe if it's parked on an incline. Normally it won't leak unless it's running but there might be some residual oil on the crossmember that you just can't get completely clean

  9. #8
    Registered User lokillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8
    Hey I FOUND OUT THAT the LEAK Is coming out from both ends (valve covers) to the crossmember. Should I just replace both seals or something else???

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •