Massive oil leak
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Massive oil leak within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all I've got a porblem with my car. I've been doing a rebuild on my 02 wrx cause the ...

Massive oil leak

Hey all I've got a porblem with my car. I've been doing a rebuild on my 02 wrx cause the engine seized up (last time i let my bother borrow it).

Anyway, thousands of dollars later I have a new Garrett ball berring turbo, new up and down pipes and a front mount intercooler attatched. I have everything in and put together. All electronics and mechanics are hooked up.

Here's my problem. I start the car get it running and a waterfall of oil pours down the back of the engine.

First I thought I didn't hook something up tight enough so I checked all the oil lines they're good. Not even any oil around them. After several mock start ups and a bottle of oil later I have located the source to be comming from under my turbo inlet hose on top of the passenger side of the block and running down the back. The driver side is clean not a speck of oil. I haven't found the exact source though.

I'm very confused cause there are no oil lines on the top of the engine near the inlet hose. Just coolant and gas and some vacuum lines.

I have pretty much ruled out the head gaket cause it is clean oil not oil coolant sludge.

can anyone offer any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It sounds like a blown oil seal in the turbo... what kind of engine management are you running...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

it's not originating from anywhere near the turbo though. the leak is comming from the top of my block on the passenger side and flowing toward the turbo. sorry the term engine management went over my head. never heard that term before.

What turbo did you use (model)? Where did you buy it?
    What exhaust peaces did you use?
    What was done to the engine after it "seized up"

If you can, please make a post a full list of all mods done to the car, so we can properly help you get the car back up and running.

Edit: Engine Management is a term for the engines Computer. Please read this thread (specifically #8)
    Yes, you need an EM for engine mods
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 11-16-2010 at 12:17 AM. Reason: More questions, just trying to get the entire picture ^_^

Blouch Dominator 1.5 XT-R
    Invidia up pipe
    Invidia Down pipe
    Samco turbo inlet hose
    Walbro 255 fuel pump
    DeatschWerks 750cc fuel ionjectors
    CX Racing FMIC
    Last edited by niloc1347; 11-16-2010 at 12:20 AM.

That's a HUGE turbo for a 2.0L engine.

Edit: Who is tuning the computer to run these mods?

the engine i got as a rebuilt from an online dealer wholesale. and the heads i had rebuilt and macined everyting else is OEM

i know that's why the fuel injectors, feul pump and up and down pipe are aftermarket. i got it cause part of the problem was my original journal bearing turbo burnt up so i did the research and got the smallest ball bearing turbo i could find

there's a shop by my house that works on performance engines that i'm gonna take it to but tuning is the least of my worries till i figure this oil leak out.

For the oil leak: If it's leaking as much as your describing then it should be easy to find. Clean the engine till it shines, then start the engine, and stick your head in there with a flash light.
    I bet it's an oil line that goes to the turbo.

You should get a hold of that tuner.
    • Tell them everything you've had done to the car (used engine, rebuilt heads)
    • What the mods are.
    • What your goals are (fast street car, weekend track car, autox, drag racing, ect)
    • ask them what they recommend.

If a small ball bearing turbo was your only requirement, then a IHI VF34 would have been a better choice.

the oil leak: i have been doing that and i keep missing the start of it. it doesn't seem to start near any oil lines. the oil line to the turbo is on the back of the block and the leak is starting on the top. and i can't get a good view because of everything in the way (turbo inlet hose, fuel lines for fuel injectors etc.). i'm gonna play with it more tomorrow i just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas to what it might be.

yeah i do need to call the shop and see what they say. like you said it's a big turbo for my 2.0

i didn't find that turbo when i was searching. oh well. most that claimed to be "ball bearing" weren't true ball bearing turbos
    Last edited by niloc1347; 11-16-2010 at 01:05 AM.

If it helps track down the issue, remove the turbo inlet hose until you find the problem, just don't try revving the engine without that on there.

BTW: If the Computer hasn't been tuned to run 750cc injectors (stock is 440cc), even at idle, the engine will be running super rich. Do not attempt to drive the car like that.

Full disclosure: the VF34 isn't a true ball bearing turbo either, it's a roller bearing turbo.

okay thanks i wasn't sure if the car would be okay without the inlet hose.

Good to know i'll be sure to talk to the shop i'm takin it to for the tuning before i drive it to see what they say.

Yeah that's what i kept getting. i wanted the ball bearing because there is much less friction than the journal or roller ball bearing turbos which kept it cooler and allowes for a much quicker spool up time. and that will help compensate for the lag i'm gonna get from my FMIC.
    Last edited by niloc1347; 11-16-2010 at 01:29 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like mayb an oil galley plug was forgot on the new engine. There is one on the back of the block under the TMIC that alot of people use to install an oil pressure sender. And I agree with Jeremy,that turbo is way to big for a 2.0L. The lag isn't going to be from your FMIC. Its going to be from that turbo.
    Last edited by Donkey; 11-16-2010 at 07:33 PM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

yes i agree that generally bigger turbo equals more lag however from the research i have done the ball bearing turbos have less lag because there is way less friction because of the ball bearings. the ball bearings run much smoother than a journal bearing which is essentially metal rubbing against metal with a thin sheet of oil between the two for lubrication.

anyway it's in and hooked up and my old one is shot so i'll see how the lag is when i finnally get it up and running. i'll let everyone know how it is when i drive it after the tune.

and still haven't found the leak today was real busy and didn't have much time to get out there to look at it. the galley oil plug is in i'm sure of that. i checked all the plugs comparing them to my old block and there are no missing plugs in the block.
    Last edited by niloc1347; 11-17-2010 at 12:04 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast