Massive oil leak - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Massive oil leak within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by niloc1347 yes i agree that generally bigger turbo equals more lag however from the research i have ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by niloc1347 View Post
    yes i agree that generally bigger turbo equals more lag however from the research i have done the ball bearing turbos have less lag because there is way less friction because of the ball bearings. the ball bearings run much smoother than a journal bearing which is essentially metal rubbing against metal with a thin sheet of oil between the two for lubrication.
    Ball bearing turbos are nothing new. They have been around for almost two decades. You don't seem to understand we all know what the ball bearing technology is supposed to do. We also know what turbo your using and generally how its going to react on your car as tons of people have done the same. The only 2.0L cars a turbo that size would work well on are the JDM STI 2.0L with AVCS as that have much larger head ports and bigger cams (lots of airflow). If you don't mind the lag,fine. But don't kid yourself into thinking just because it's ball bearing it can drasticly change that turbos properties. Big compressor with a medium size hotside is great for a 2.5L with lots of exhaust flow,not a USDM 2.0L. You going to get alot of lag and probably some decent compressor surge once it does start to spool up.
    Last edited by Donkey; 11-18-2010 at 06:57 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sorry. I'm not trying to make anyone seem dumb or uninformed I can only go off what I have found myself so don't get too irritated with my ignorance. I know I could be wrong. I have been before and i will be again. Besides i'm not here to get into an argument about how my turbo is gonna work. Thanks for the info on my turbo i know now what to expect from it. Good or bad it has to stay for now cause the other one is too stiff and i can no longer return the new one.

On other news i found the oil leak. it is infact coming out of my head gasket. that is still confusing me cause i can't see how oil can come out and not coolant.
    Oh well i'm gonna pull the engine again and get it fixed. Thanks for the advice about pulling the trubo inlet hose SeattleJeremy. It cleared all the confusion up.
    Last edited by niloc1347; 11-19-2010 at 02:59 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by niloc1347 View Post
    Sorry. I'm not trying to make anyone seem dumb or uninformed I can only go off what I have found myself so don't get too irritated with my ignorance. I know I could be wrong. I have been before and i will be again. Besides i'm not here to get into an argument about how my turbo is gonna work. Thanks for the info on my turbo i know now what to expect from it. Good or bad it has to stay for now cause the other one is too stiff and i can no longer return the new one.

On other news i found the oil leak. it is infact coming out of my head gasket. that is still confusing me cause i can't see how oil can come out and not coolant.
    Oh well i'm gonna pull the engine again and get it fixed tomorrow. Thanks for the advice about pulling the trubo inlet hose SeattleJeremy. It cleared all the confusion up.
    We just hate for people to spend that kind of money and possibly be very disapointed in the out come. Trust me,it happens alot. I have been running around on several Subie forums for about 6 years and playing with forced induction for easily twice as long. You get an idea of what works and what doesn't. You can also use things like an engine demand overlay on a compressor map or these calculators to help decide on a turbo:
    http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/
    http://www.turbofast.com.au/TFmatch.html

I'm glad you found the source of the problem, but I'm sad to hear it doesn't sound like an easy fix. I would check the oil for coolant and the coolant for oil/carbon.
    Last edited by Donkey; 11-18-2010 at 07:24 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

i really do apreciate your concern. i know i'm definately not done with what i wanna do with this little monster. i'm going to have the old block rebuilt and get some performance parts put in it.

my main focus after the engine siesed up was to get it running again. (fyi the problem with the engine i'm not sure of completely but there was aluminum shreds in the oil pan when i took it off and when i looked in were the oil pan was mounted you could see the walls were being scrapped against by the crank and piston setup) the secondary focus was to begin getting the car where i want it to be. i tried my best to do both at once.

i had two reasons for the turbo i got.
    one when i did my research and discovered how dependant the journal bearing turbos were on oil i wanted something that would be a little more resistant to wear and the ball bearing seemed the way to go. i didn't want my turbo seising up again and i figured that would be much harder to do with a ball bearing.
    two i wanted something with more power. guess i got what i wished for.

the FMIC was also part of the upgrade that i wanted. again i can only go off the research i have done so if i'm wrong please say so. i read that the FMIC runs cooler than the TMIC because of the direct flow from driving instead of directed flow from the scoop and cause the FMIC sits in the engine bay. However there would be more lag on the FMIC cause of the amount of piping needed.

i talked to the guys i know at the subaru dealership near me and they said the head gasket was put on backwards and not sealing off the oil. kinda sucks to find that out after the guy who was helping me do that put it together. oh well can't cry about it now. i'm gonna pull the engine tomorrow and see if a can't get it to run. there was no coolant in the oil leaking out and i have already drained the doolant and didn't see and oil. i'm still don't see how that's possible but i'll get a better picture when i take it apart.

i don't think i'll mind the lag because this car is supposed to be my daily driver so i won't be driving spirited too much. besides i feel i need to get a better clutch before i do that.

thanks for all your help guys. i'm always ready to learn and ya'll helped a lot. i'll let everyone know when i get it up and running and if a can i'll post the dyno results on it.

thanks again Donkey and SeattleJeremy
    Last edited by niloc1347; 11-19-2010 at 02:58 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.