Whining coming from car
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Whining coming from car within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So today my 02' stage4 rex developed a whine. It occurs in specified conditions. It always happens when accelerating. If ...

Whining coming from car

So today my 02' stage4 rex developed a whine.

It occurs in specified conditions.

It always happens when accelerating.
    If I let off the gas it still continues. HOWEVER, if I put it in neutral and stay off the gas it goes away.

Strangely though, if I put it in neutral and rev it happens

Can't locate exactly where it's coming from but I am thinking it must either be a belt or the turbo. First thought it was the tranny, but if it was the tranny it wouldn't whine in neutral while revving right?

Car has 110k on it and all belts are recently changed aside from timing belt.

Thanks
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Time to do the timing belt anyway. If it's whining in neutral it is not your transmission. I would check all the belts first.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

I Support ClubWRX
    I would be inclined to agree with Sonic.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

It could be your transmission. There's still parts of it spinning even in neutral. The gears connecting it to the axles/driveshaft are just disengaged. I hope it's not that...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

What kind of whining is it? I experienced this recently too under the same conditions you listed. It was very high pitched, and couple guys on here said it was a boost leak. It turned out to be exactly that, maybe that is what is causing you to hear a whining during the situations you listed.

At first I thought you were referring to significant other!

Hopefully it's not a transmission death whine!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    It could be your transmission. There's still parts of it spinning even in neutral. The gears connecting it to the axles/driveshaft are just disengaged. I hope it's not that...
    It only whines in neutral if I hit the gas (rev). If I'm in neutral just cruising it goes away.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by eastbaywrx View Post
    What kind of whining is it? I experienced this recently too under the same conditions you listed. It was very high pitched, and couple guys on here said it was a boost leak. It turned out to be exactly that, maybe that is what is causing you to hear a whining during the situations you listed.
    Yeah, I was thinking a boost leak too based on the fact that in neutral it goes away but the second I rev it starts again.

So basically it has to be either a boost leak or a belt?

Boost leak might make some sense since my car has been feeling kinda sluggish lately.

Best way to check for a boost leak?
    Just call me Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking a boost leak too based on the fact that in neutral it goes away but the second I rev it starts again.

So basically it has to be either a boost leak or a belt?

Boost leak might make some sense since my car has been feeling kinda sluggish lately.

Best way to check for a boost leak?
    My tuner does a boost leak test...do you have any good tuners near you?

If you have an air compressor and a regulator you can look up how to build a boost leak tester and do it yourself too! There are a few diy threads on nasioc.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Is it inappropriate to make a joke on this thread? I mean, whenever I get a whining tranny in my car, I just kick her out and pick up another one...*rimshot*

Does it sound like synchro whining?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It must be those PPGs you put in

I bet it's synchro whine. My car has been doing the same thing, especially noticeable in the cold. In first, if I put the clutch down, I hear the whine. If put in neutral and let the clutch out, no whine.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Whine is louder now and started on start up. Sounded a lot like a belt at idle. Probably the timing belt then, huh?
    Just call me Clark Kent

power steering maybe? my PS pump just bit the dust, but a few months before any "feelable" symptoms showed up (stiff steering wheel no clutch assist etc) I'd get some pretty bad whining, it would start on startup and seemed throttle related
    Put aside the everyday world and come with us
    Into the realm of imagination
    The middle ground between light and shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    Is it inappropriate to make a joke on this thread? I mean, whenever I get a whining tranny in my car, I just kick her out and pick up another one...*rimshot*
    +1!!!!

My car is has a whine that sounds like what you described. Whines when you rev it and follows engine RPM. It does not chance in gear or out, does not chance when moving or not. So, mine is not trans related. My next idea was the belts and all they are connected to. (It sounded like an alternator going out but I could not pinpoint the whine with the hood up). I removed the two accessory belts and started it up.... guess what, whine still there. So that rules out all that equipment. (I replaced the belts anyhow.) Could it be the turbo? I suppose it could be but I doubt it. The car runs just as well as it ever did, also I would think if it was the turbo it would not start whining till it spooled a little. Mine whines right off idle and starts as soon as I start the car before the turbo ever builds any pressure.
    Also I might add that the car has not thrown any codes and is completely stock. My next guess was the timing belt. Car has about 90,000 on it so it was due anyways. I got a new kit for the belt and all the tensioners and pulleys. The kit also had a water pump. Last weekend I did the chance out . ( someone on here posted a how too...thank you for that it was very helpful!!) The only thing I did not chance was the water pump. Mine looked fine, wasn't leaking and had no shaft play.) I put it all back together and guess what.... still whines!
    This porb didn't help you much, just throwing it out there. Anyone have any other ideas what it could be?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.