Switch to synthetic?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Switch to synthetic? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 02' Stage4 WRX. Been putting regular in it this whole time but about to do another change and realized that ...

Switch to synthetic?

02' Stage4 WRX. Been putting regular in it this whole time but about to do another change and realized that I have 110k on the car

Would it be appropriate to switch to synthetic now or is it not worth bothering? And will this affect my custom tune currently on the car?
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Why haven't you been using synthetic all along?

The additional viscosity of synthetic can make it leak more past seals in higher mileage cars versus running conventional oil. They do make higher mileage synthetic these days though I believe. All in all, synthetic is superior to conventional oil so it's always a good idea. If you find you burn more than normal, you can switch to a weight heavier to combat that.

I don't see how changing your oil would affect your tune...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Why haven't you been using synthetic all along?

The additional viscosity of synthetic can make it leak more past seals in higher mileage cars versus running conventional oil. They do make higher mileage synthetic these days though I believe. All in all, synthetic is superior to conventional oil so it's always a good idea. If you find you burn more than normal, you can switch to a weight heavier to combat that.

I don't see how changing your oil would affect your tune...
    I was always told synthetic wasn't necessary with the WRX unless it gets into higher mileage. So I always held off for cost savings sake.

Wondering if it would help the life of the car at all to switch to synthetic now that I'm at 110k.
    Just call me Clark Kent

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I would do an oil analysis at your next change interval and write a note to them saying that you're considering a switch to synthetic, based on what they find could they recommend a good product or would they recommend sticking to what you're doing. If you have a healthy oil analysis at your regularly scheduled change interval, I wouldn't do anything differently because clearly what you're using is working.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    I was always told synthetic wasn't necessary with the WRX unless it gets into higher mileage.
    Who ever told you that is a moron. Synthetic is perfect for turbocharged vehicles as the oil has a much more stable temperature/flashpoint and tend to not "coke" turbo bearings like dino oil. Not to mention it extends OIC's. I run Rotella T6 5w40.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    If you are very concerned send a sample of the existing oil to Blackstone. If the numbers are good there is little reason to change since what you are doing is working.

If there are deposits masking failed seals or gaskets by clumping at those points, and your new oil dissolves them whereas your old oil either failed to do so or allowed them to occur in the first place, you will notice leaks. If not, you will not notice leaks due to the new oil. Your seals and gaskets may fail at some point anyway though.

I've run synth since the third oil change or so, and am about to have a look under the front cover. I see a bit of juice on the front passenger side and will report back what I find just for info purposes.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Who ever told you that is a moron. Synthetic is perfect for turbocharged vehicles as the oil has a much more stable temperature/flashpoint and tend to not "coke" turbo bearings like dino oil. Not to mention it extends OIC's. I run Rotella T6 5w40.
    +1 but calling that person a moron is being nice. They make morons look smart!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Ok, so we've come to the conclusion that synthetic oil is best... but is it worth switching at this point?
    Just call me Clark Kent

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    Ok, so we've come to the conclusion that synthetic oil is best... but is it worth switching at this point?
    Can you DIY?

It costs me $20-25 for 5qts from Walmart and $30 for a 6-pack of OEM filters from my dealership. $25-30/change. I'd only save a little money going with a quality dino oil, so it's worth it for me.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Just be aware that you will likely burn a half a quart to a quart between oil changes (meaning carry an extra quart of synth oil with you). Synthetic oil tends to percolate through the oil seals on a high-mileage motor and especially with forged aluminum pistons
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Just be aware that you will likely burn a half a quart to a quart between oil changes (meaning carry an extra quart of synth oil with you). Synthetic oil tends to percolate through the oil seals on a high-mileage motor and especially with forged aluminum pistons
    So considering this should I just stick with the regular stuff since it seems to be working fine?
    Just call me Clark Kent

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    So considering this should I just stick with the regular stuff since it seems to be working fine?
    Meh, like Donkey said, synth is better for the high temps of the turbo (IIRC it has something to do with molecularization under high temps, but I'm no materials scientist). I have no problem with just buying an extra quart of oil and stowing it in the back. It usually gets me through two oil changes.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Get an oil analysis and see if your current choice of oil is providing adequate coverage. If it is not, I would consider a change, but otherwise, no.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    Get an oil analysis and see if your current choice of oil is providing adequate coverage. If it is not, I would consider a change, but otherwise, no.
    +1
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Switching to a 5w40 weight oil cut down on my oil motors consumption. I have no issues with leaking either and did previously before using Mobil 5w30. This is on a motor with 170k on it running 20 psi for a long time!
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast