Strange power steering issue. Please help.

This is a discussion on Strange power steering issue. Please help. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all. This is my first post so a little about me and my car. I drive a 2007 WRX ...

Strange power steering issue. Please help.

Hi all. This is my first post so a little about me and my car.
    I drive a 2007 WRX that I bought about 6 months ago. Since then, I've gone stage 2 and I love the car so much more.

I actually work at a Subaru dealer in CO, in the service department, so I feel I can call this issue a "strange one."

I installed an aftermarket turbo inlet pipe the other day, myself. I did so without removing the manifold. As everyone who has done one before me has said, SUCH A PITA! I decided that removing the hard p/s line on top of the p/s pump to get the inlet pipe in was a good idea. I'm regretting that decision now... I should have moved the whole pump out of the way. Obviously, I got air in the system. Problem is, it simply wont bleed. In fact, to make things worse, the reservoir wont stop bubbling. Not little, normal when bleeding bubbles, big ones like some how air is getting into the system still. Strangely, I'm not losing any fluid, so it's hard to call it a leak. I know how to bleed p/s and trust me, so does the Subaru tech I had helping me tonight. Air keeps coming out... Ever heard of this??? Is there some kind of valve stuck open in the pump?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I think the procedure is to let it sit for up to an hour if you can't get rid of bubbles, then try again. Other than that though no help, sorry. Have you let it sit?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Definitely have let it sit. I've been trying to figure this out for 2 days now. This is so irritating.

In case anyone has the same issue, the problem was a leak in the system. You might not always get a fluid leak because of an air leak.

The suction line on top of the p/s pump (plastic head) was where mine was, and I didn't even open that line when doing the turbo inlet, so it must be pretty sensitive. There was an o-ring under there and after I took the o-ring out, re-installed it and tightened down the line, no more leak. No more bubbles. System bled itself in like 5 mins...