Front end noise on 09' wrx

This is a discussion on Front end noise on 09' wrx within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I need some help. I have an 09 wrx with Toyo proxy 4 and lowered through coil spring about 1.5 ...

Front end noise on 09' wrx

I need some help. I have an 09 wrx with Toyo proxy 4 and lowered through coil spring about 1.5 inches. The tires have about 15K on them. When I let of the accelerator and coast I can here a concerning louder than usual hum like noise.

Doesn't sound damaging but not normal. I was curious if it could be the tires making the noise after 15K. They don't seem to have any unusual wear that I can see.

Car only has 19k total miles so I wouldn't think it would be wheel bearings.

Any help would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09 wrx 2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	90713

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well the Toyo Proxes are known for being loud when they get worn. Normally, loud tires like these are most easily heard when you coast. Can you hear the noise at all when you're in gear?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

noise

not as much when in gear and running down the road and probably because of the nature of the engine and exhaust noise.

I was thinking it may be the tires getting loud.

Quote Originally Posted by gpowers View Post
    I need some help. I have an 09 wrx with Toyo proxy 4 and lowered through coil spring about 1.5 inches. The tires have about 15K on them. When I let of the accelerator and coast I can here a concerning louder than usual hum like noise.

Doesn't sound damaging but not normal. I was curious if it could be the tires making the noise after 15K. They don't seem to have any unusual wear that I can see.

Car only has 19k total miles so I wouldn't think it would be wheel bearings.

Any help would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09 wrx 2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	90713

Do they happen to be rotational tires? If so, pretty much all rotational tires are more prone to cupping than non rotational tires...you can usually run your hand over the treads and feel it, in extreme cases you can just look at the tire and see it...